ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

High school boys break through as back-to-back volleyball champions

SKAC finals end in a sweep for varsity squads
After+a+successful+day%2C+the+boys+gather+up+to+show+dominance.+The+back-to-back+champs+return+home+with+the+trophy.+
Hailey Tzou
After a successful day, the boys gather up to show dominance. The back-to-back champs return home with the trophy.

The DIS boys’ varsity volleyball team showcased their talent, determination, and teamwork and brought home a trophy for the second year in a row. The boys’ junior varsity (JV) team also advanced to the semi-finals but fell short of their goal with a defeat against the International School of Busan (ISB).

The varsity boys stood unbeaten throughout the day. They started off with a win against ISB with scores of 26-24 and 25-10. “There were tough referee calls. I hit a really good line from the right side, but the referee wasn’t really paying attention. If you look back at the video and the clips, they just saw his reaction and called in and out. It was a pretty clutch point, but we did get through it,” middle blocker Colin Ji said. 

Naturally, the squad met their most difficult rivals in the final match against HIS. Nonetheless, the players pulled through and took both sets home, 25-23 and 25-23. “[In the finals,] Juan had a crazy Spider-Man save, and Aaron just [let it] hit the ground. I finished both of the last points of the two sets we beat against HIS, but the game-ender was kind of boring because I had to just push the ball over, and the other team’s defender just watched it land on their court. It was quite interesting but funny, too,” Ji said. 

The final match highlighted the day for the other schools in the tournament as well. “I really liked the last game. It was really competitive, really close. Even though we lost, it was still a great competition. Great game,” senior outside spiker Yoshi Collier from the Handong International School (HIS) boys’ varsity team said.

Best of all, everyone returned to DIS with advanced skills and pride in their hearts. “My favorite play would be blocking the other team’s ace because they’re a better player than me. I can admit that he was a very talented player. But being that talented and still getting blocked by a freshman — I could just see in his body language that he was really bummed out about it,” varsity freshman Haydn Mangione said.  

At the end of the long day, the athletic director of Busan Foreign School announced the all-star players of each school, and nominated DIS left-side hitter Ethan Rossmeisl. Plagued by the flu, Rossmeisl still shined at the tourney. A few days later, Colin Ji and Dylan Wang received all-tournament medals as well.

The team celebrated a successful day of self-improvement and brought home the first trophy of the 23-24 school year. The high school boys will travel to Jeju for the upcoming KISAC tournament from November 16-18 to aim for another victory.

View Comments (5)
About the Contributors
Annie Cho
Annie Cho, Writer
Annie returns for a second year in Jets Flyover as an enthusiastic sophomore. She leads SNHS, Peer Tutoring Club, and Debate Club. In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching TV shows, and playing sports in her free time. This year she hopes to share interesting and engaging stories with the DIS community. 
Dylan Wang
Dylan Wang, Managing Editor
Dylan Wang declares himself as a Renaissance man. His interests vary from music to sports, and he participates in varieties of extracurricular activities such as Rock Band, MUN, and Student Council. For this reason, he writes in many different styles about many different topics, from features to opinion pieces. Through this process, he attained several useful strategies and tips, and now he helps others learn to write like a pro. As Managing Editor of the Jets Flyover, Dylan hopes to help new staff writers grow as he ends his DIS journey.
Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication. 

Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Hailey Tzou
Hailey Tzou, Photographer / Designer
As a first year member of the Jets Flyover staff and a DIS veteran, Hailey knows the ins and outs of school events. She loves every sport including volleyball, basketball, and futsal. Through her previous experiences in winning several SKAC tournaments, she looks forward to taking active pictures. In her free time, Hailey enjoys watching movies, hanging out with her friends, and spending time with her cats. Hoping to bring a positive impact to the team, she takes the role of a photographer, designer, and editor.