Girls end the season with a bittersweet finale

Jets finish strong despite obstacles
Varsity+captain+Sunny+Oh+tips+the+ball+over+the+net.+The+unexpected+attack+makes+the+opponent+dive+on+defense.+The+strategy+works+efficiently.+
Aiden Chae
Varsity captain Sunny Oh tips the ball over the net. The unexpected attack makes the opponent dive on defense. The strategy works efficiently.

The DIS girls’ volleyball team wrapped up their season with a journey to the Korean International School Activities Conference (KISAC) at North London Collegiate School Jeju (NLCS) from Nov. 17th to 18th. The players pushed through and ended the season in 6th place. Both the varsity and JV teams brought meaningful experiences and unforgettable memories back home to Daegu.

The league kicked off against NLCS. Unfortunately, the varsity girls lost their first game 2:1, and the junior varsity girls lost their match 2:0. “We had some issues with receiving at the beginning of some of the games, which caused us to lose a lot of points and dragged us down,” sophomore varsity co-captain Minori Kojima said. The varsity girls ended the first day of preliminary rounds with 1 win and 2 losses and the junior varsity with 2 losses.

Regardless of the disappointing results from day one, both teams stayed determined and powered through the second day of elimination rounds. The girls A team made a comeback with a win against Fayston Preparatory School (FPS). “There were lots of ups and downs, but I love how we didn’t give up and made improvements throughout the day. As a team, I think we still have to work on communication and covering tips,” 11th-grade varsity captain Sunny Oh said.

Throughout the tournament, players faced various hardships. The absence of the NLCS athletic director brought confusion and chaos to the event. 30 minutes before a game, officials modified the schedule. As a result, some players had to hit the court without warm-ups. Additionally, a leak in the gym ceiling led to slippery floors and wet courts. “The tournament was pretty poorly organized. The fact that we were in 6th place because we lost one game at 8 am was very unfair,” freshman junior varsity outside hitter Shannon Moore said.

Despite the obstacles, the Jets enjoyed a weekend full of fierce competition and improvement. “I was really happy that I got to experience that kind of like playing in a tournament and just having lots of playing time playing volleyball since last season was really challenging for me. And I’m really sad about leaving in this being my last season but I’m hoping I can play more in my next school,” Moore said.

Although the teams came up short, students showed passion and resilience throughout the tourney. With the conclusion of volleyball, the high school Jets transition to basketball. They aim for another successful season.

Annie Cho
Annie Cho, Writer
Annie returns for a second year in Jets Flyover as an enthusiastic sophomore. She leads SNHS, Peer Tutoring Club, and Debate Club. In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching TV shows, and playing sports in her free time. This year she hopes to share interesting and engaging stories with the DIS community. 
Bonnie Kim
Bonnie Kim, Writer
Bonnie Kim dives into her first year of journalism as a young and passionate freshman. As a dorm dweller, she grows close with fellow gals on her floor. Volleyball and basketball fill up most of her free time, but sports writing serves as her new thrill. Bonnie can’t wait to step outside of her comfort zone and explore unconventional topics for the Flyover this year.
Ava Cho
Ava Cho, Photographer / Designer
Ava, a senior at Daegu International School, loved art and design ever since childhood. She moved to DIS in 9th grade because she decided to study art abroad. In her free time, she loves going to galleries and taking pictures of the city and nature. Music is her biggest inspiration for her art. Due to her interest in art and design, she will take her place as an editor for the yearbook. Ava is looking forward to showing her passion as an illustrator for the Jets Flyover.   

Nadia Woo
Nadia Woo, Writer
Nadia Woo, a senior at DIS, decides to wrap up her high school career with a final hoorah. The title of Jets Flyover staff writer adds to her legacy. She derives inspiration from a wide variety of her life experiences and hobbies, from live concerts to cozy video games. She delights in meeting people from diverse perspectives across the world and always surges at the chance to overcome her own ignorance. After years of longing for an outlet to express herself, she finally bursts onto the scene, vowing to leave no leaf unturned in her quest to bring people together exploiting the art of journalism.

Tiffany Lee
Tiffany Lee, Photographer / Designer
Tiffany, an avid illustrator and photographer, returns to journalism for her second year of designing the yearbook. In college, she plans to pursue a major in the STEM field. In her free time, she binge-watches Netflix series and spends quality time with her loved ones. As the president of the Illusion Dance Team, Tiffany leads the squad to perform for the Jets. She hopes to bring this cheer to the Jets Flyover as well.

Aiden Chae
Aiden Chae, Photographer / Designer
Aiden Chae, a senior at DIS, pursues his enthusiasm for photography as a second year member of the Jets Flyover. At fifteen, his interest in business motivated him to create a successful startup that earned him honorable recognition. He wishes to use his skills to demonstrate a range of narratives and publish his photos in the yearbook and newspaper.