Jets Varsity competes in midseason tourney

Girls’ volleyball takes a set from unassailable Sharks
Minori+Kojima%2C+co-captain%2C+dives+onto+the+floor+to+save+the+ball+from+touching+the+ground.+Kojima+quickly+realizes+the+trajectory+to+get+there+on+time.+The+crowd+roars+after+the+super+save.+
Chae Un Son
Minori Kojima, co-captain, dives onto the floor to save the ball from touching the ground. Kojima quickly realizes the trajectory to get there on time. The crowd roars after the super save.

The girls’ varsity team hit the road for the Busan Invitationals on Friday, Oct. 27, and rolled onto Saturday, Oct. 28. Stronger than ever, the determined players fought to take home the championship trophy.

On the first day, the girls won all their games except for one match against Busan Foreign School (BFS) and breezed through the round-robin tournament. Confident in their stellar performance, they entered the championship bracket on the next day as the second seed.

Their first opponent did not pose a challenge: the girls beat Handong International School(HIS) twice, 2-0 in both games. However, the tides turned when the Jets faced BFS on their road to the finals. The girls struggled to keep up as they lost 0-2. 

The Sharks awaited DIS in the finals. For the entire tournament, they went undefeated, without even a single set given to another team. Despite this powerful adversary, the Jets walked into the court, more ready than ever, with high hopes to secure victory against their rivals. 

The girls started off with a huge lead in the first set. Their phenomenal chemistry supported the win. BFS hit back hard, but after an intense series of rallies, DIS took the first set 25-23, and the Sharks faced their first loss to any team in the competition. 

“I felt very proud that my team did everything correctly and all those combinations that we worked on during practice. We really showed off our skill and we were like ‘we can beat you guys, BFS’,” said Leewen Wang (number 9), the 9th grade varsity setter.

The third set put both teams on the edge of a cliff. In the make-or-break situation, the varsity squad held their ground. But BFS proved yet too strong and took the third set 25-15. The two teams shook hands to mark the end of the game.

“I was feeling nervous because we haven’t lost a set to them today, so when we did, I was like ‘we gotta get back into this.’ But afterwards, I was confident when we had a big lead and then it was just fun. I was very surprised. DIS played very well and was very excited to win the Busan Invitational,” said Angie Galles (number 5) in 11th grade, an all-tournament team medalist and captain of the BFS varsity squad.

The finals loss hit the girls hard, but the players hope to rebound in the upcoming Korean International Schools Activities Conference (KISAC) tournament on November 17th and 18th. With more experience in their bag, the DIS girls seem well prepared for the final competition of the season at North London Collegiate School Jeju (NLCS).

Ethan Rossmeisl
Ethan Rossmeisl, Sports Editor
From Varsity Basketball star to a Model United Nations delegate, Ethan Rossmeisl committed himself as an active member of the DIS community for a decade. His love of athletics makes him a perfect fit for reporting DIS Sports as a new writer for the Jets Flyover. With his wide range of talents, Ethan dominates all grounds. His leadership positions as Chess club president and all-star medalist in KISAC have taught him invaluable lessons on dedication and he hopes to bring this determination and hard-working attitude to his writing.

Chae Un Son
Chae Un Son, Photographer / Designer
Chae Un, a senior at DIS, wishes to bring her passion for taking photographs and drawing illustrations as a second-year staff member in the Jets Flyover. Her academic interest mainly lies in STEM subjects such as science and mathematics, as she aspires to work in the medical field in the future. However, she takes an interest in digital media and illustration during her leisure time, which drove her to become a member of the yearbook staff once again, and she looks forward to creating a memorable yearbook for this year as the editor-in-chief.