ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Elementary schoolers win big in season kickoff

Despite injuries, boys and girls teams prevail in Busan

Elementary school students enjoyed a day of fierce competition in Busan at the first SKAC divisional tournament of the year on September 23rd. Both the girls’ and boys’ teams fought hard throughout the day and came home with unexpected results. 

The boys sported three teams, two A teams and one B team. The 4th grade boys won all of their matches and ended in first, outplaying the 5th grade boys’ A team, which came in third. The third-grade boys debuted successfully at their first SKAC tournament in the B division and also ended the day in third place. “My favorite part of the day was going to the finals. I think we did a great job,” said Aiden Hong in fourth grade.

Mr. Purdy, the elementary boys’ coach, said, “I just thought it was a lot of fun and a very successful day. The students all played great. They bonded more with each other, and they made more friends down at the tournament. There are a few tears of happiness and sadness, but [it was] overall a very successful day. I’m happy with how the students all performed.” 

Although the girls performed exceptionally well and placed third, they faced an uphill battle. Their head coach, Mrs. Jolly, was unable to attend the tournament due to a schedule conflict. Student coaches Maddox Jolly in ninth grade and Minori Kojima in 10th grade, along with substitute coach Mr. Jolly, lead the girls. 

Jets girls went head-to-head against stiff competition. Other SKAC schools set a high bar.  “They were really fast. The team was really fast, so it was really hard to get the ball from them,” said the fourth-grade forward Irene Lee.

The tough play took a physical toll. “I injured my ankle. I slipped, and then I got scratched on an opponent’s foot and the soccer shoes,” Lee said. 

Players took hit after hit on the turf. “I got an injury from my tournament, which is on my shin, on my right leg. I got an injury while dealing with a girl who kicked me and at my ankle, and I wasn’t able to walk a lot,” fifth-grade defender Kyla Ahn said.

Team members also learned strategies for penalty kicks. “The first game was with BFS and I scored one goal. It was a penalty kick. I kicked with my left foot because the goalie was really good at blocking my right shot. We got a penalty kick because the other team got a handball,” said the fifth-grade forward Tracy Kim. 

The young players improved throughout the day and showed great team synergy. “I’m really thankful and grateful for my teammates who tried their best to either score or not to [let the other team] score in our goal,” Ahn said. 

“The other teams are really strong, and they are really good, but I think we can beat them. I’m expecting to be better when the next SKAC tournament comes,” said Miles Long from the fifth-grade boys’ team. The squads will travel to Handong on October 24th to wrap up the season.

View Comments (8)
About the Contributors
Annie Cho
Annie Cho, Writer
Annie returns for a second year in Jets Flyover as an enthusiastic sophomore. She leads SNHS, Peer Tutoring Club, and Debate Club. In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching TV shows, and playing sports in her free time. This year she hopes to share interesting and engaging stories with the DIS community. 
Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Nadia Woo
Nadia Woo, Writer
Nadia Woo, a senior at DIS, decides to wrap up her high school career with a final hoorah. The title of Jets Flyover staff writer adds to her legacy. She derives inspiration from a wide variety of her life experiences and hobbies, from live concerts to cozy video games. She delights in meeting people from diverse perspectives across the world and always surges at the chance to overcome her own ignorance. After years of longing for an outlet to express herself, she finally bursts onto the scene, vowing to leave no leaf unturned in her quest to bring people together exploiting the art of journalism.

Christine Park
Christine Park, Illustrator
After years of persuasion from her peers that sparked intrinsic motivation, Christine Park finally enters Journalism as a senior. Chris’s greatest passion revolves around the field of art and anime. Her role as the president of the National Art Honors Society and Visual Arts Club proves the enthusiasm she bears for artistry. As the new illustrator for the Jets Flyover, Chris is eager to dive into journalism and share her artwork and comics with a wider audience.