ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Tech showdown: iPhone 15 Pro vs iPhone 14 Pro

Deeper dive into the newest Apple handheld product
iPhone 15 Pro depletes the glossy finish of iPhone 14 Pro. Courtesy of GSMArena.

Apple’s iPhone always sparks interest in the smartphone market. The tech giant’s newest release, the iPhone 15, continues this trend. A vital question arises for tech enthusiasts and casual users: How does the 15 stack up against its predecessor, the iPhone 14 Pro? 

Design and Aesthetics:

iPhone 14 Pro’s cutting-edge design meets the radiant glow of a stainless steel body, challenging the 15 Pro. (Oliver Park)

The iPhone 15 Pro marks a noticeable shift in its design philosophy: a brushed titanium build, a significant departure from the stainless steel edges of the iPhone 14 Pro. This enhances the aesthetic appeal and improves the user’s handheld comfort. The rounded edges add to its grip, a subtle yet appreciated change from the sharper sides. Furthermore, the newer and lighter model maintains the same screen size even with smaller margins, a testament to Apple’s commitment to compactivity and efficiency.

Performance and Hardware Upgrades:

iPhone 15 Pro’s A17 chip boasts faster CPU, efficient power usage, and a double-speed Neural Engine for next-level performance. (Oliver Park)

Under the hood, a new 3-nanometer chip powers the iPhone. It offers enhanced performance in web searching and multitasking and also allows video playback for up to 23 hours. Camera systems also underwent upgrades this year. 

iPhone 15 Pro steals the vivid imagery of the building. Courtesy of MacRumors.

The device features a 48-megapixel primary lens and supports high-resolution 24-megapixel photos. Apple ensured better film quality with its software advancements.

Furthermore, the iPhone 15 Pro features a slightly larger battery than the iPhone 14 Pro. Apple proceeds to enhance user experience through extended battery life (3290 mAh) and competent charging options.

Connectivity and Ports: 

The transformation to the new USB-C charging port allows a faster upload and data transfer to other devices. Battery charging also improves with this shift. (Oliver Park)

The iPhone 15 Pro made headlines with its switch from the traditional Lightning port (“iPhone charger”) to a USB-C port (Macbook charger). This shift aligns with the broader industry standards and offers faster data transfer speeds—a crucial factor for professionals. Additionally, the newer model supports Wi-Fi 6E connectivity and provides faster and more reliable internet connections.

User Opinions and Upgrade Considerations:

Contradicting views arise from the release of the newer model. The upgrades in the camera and connectivity justify the purchase for some, but others view such advancements as too trivial. “If you’ve already got a 14 Pro, you’re not missing much by waiting for next year’s phone,” professional photographer Lee Morris from Fstoppers said. However, a blogger from Medium, Eshu Maruneedi, said, “ It’s lightweight, it’s premium, it’s customizable, and it’s powerful.” These opinions highlight a crucial aspect of the smartphone industry: the diminishing returns on yearly improvements as the lifespan of high-end smartphones increases. 

The refined design, proficient performance, and enhanced camera system appeal to users looking for an upgrade. However, current iPhone 14 Pro users hesitate whether the developments are worthy of change. The need for annual smartphone switches wanes as devices become more durable each year. Though the iPhone 15 Pro clearly proves its merit for pre-iPhone 12 users, in the end, the choice rests on personal preferences and the specific needs of particular customers.

View Comments (3)
About the Contributor
Oliver Park
Oliver Park, Writer
Oliver Park, a freshman at DIS, loves everything coding and app development. As a top-tier Apple Fanatic (앱등이), he jokes that he could cultivate an entire orchard with his array of Apple products. One day, he hopes to visit the iconic Apple headquarters, Apple Park, in pursuit of his tech-driven dreams. This year, Oliver plans to write informative articles on all things tech.