Back-to-School Night marks the start of the year

DIS administration modifies the structure of the event for efficiency
With+more+to+see+and+hear%2C+the+new+Back+to+School+Night+entertained+and+educated+DIS+families+on+campus+life.+
Jessica Woo
With more to see and hear, the new Back to School Night entertained and educated DIS families on campus life.

Parents and teachers crowded in the Jetnasium for this year’s back-to-school night on Aug. 24. Despite the pouring rain outside, enthusiastic parents and students went on a tour all around the school. The myriad of campus renovations done over the summer interested many parents.  

“In the past, we had families go through each of their child’s classes, a green day and a blue day, which meant that the parents had a total of eight classes to visit. However, that also included passing periods for each of those, which was very time-consuming,” Mrs. Cameron, the secondary principal, said. Many of last year’s attendees wanted to see locations outside of their children’s classes, but it was difficult due to the previous schedule. Some people got lost, unable to find classrooms. 

Mrs. Cameron, recognizing these issues, changed the program this year to implement a free-moving system. The new agenda allowed families to tour lockers and other classrooms with plenty of time to spare. “We were able to provide more time to learn general information about what students are learning in the different subject departments,” Cameron added. 

Families visited new arrangements around campus, including the new art rooms in place of the previous dorm storage rooms. Christina Kim in sixth grade said, “I visited to see the new art class. I don’t have any time to see the new art room, and because we have art next semester, I wanted to check it out during this time.” 

Impressed parents left positive comments about the innovations in both the school facilities and the tour itself. “I attended this event last year. We were not given the choice to just roam around the classrooms freely. I think that it is fun to just walk around wherever we want. The new exterior of the school is nice, and the structure is cool too,” second-grader Ella Lee’s mother said, dazed by all the renovations. 

With affirmative feedback from teachers, students, and parents alike, back-to-school night 2.0 kicked off the 2023~2024 year with no snafus. The new changes around the campus were the cherry on top for the night. 

Jessica Woo
Jessica Woo, Managing Editor
A eleven year veteran at DIS, Jessica Woo returns to the Flyover staff in her junior year. As an engaged student who loves to read and write, Jessica helps other students improve and always attempts to step up as a writer herself. Founder of the Jets Broadcasting Service, she communicates and delivers informative messages to the DIS community. As much as she adores writing, Jessica deems herself a baseball-holic and attempts to watch every game if possible. 

Catherine Park
Catherine Park, Editor in Chief
Cath loves writing stories and making art. Luckily, God gifted her a talented left hand. As the vice president of the National Arts Honor Society, she can be seen drawing around campus. Cath explores many different genres of books, music, movies, and activities, and is willing to explore more about them throughout her experience as the editor-in-chief. All she needs is paper, a pencil, an eraser, and her dog, Russell. Cath writes, illustrates comics, edits articles, and manages the Jets Flyover.
Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication.