ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Varsity knocked out early but JV earns their spot in the finals

DIS ends years-long losing streak
Harrison Sung, the JV ace, shouts for the ball. As the striker, he takes the ball all the way to the net through contact. (Sunny Oh)

The high school soccer team drove down to the International School of Busan (ISB) for the soccer 7s cup on May 23. ISB, Handong International School (HIS), and a new co-op of Gyeongnam International School (GIFS) and Atherton International School (AIS) walked onto the field for the tourney.

Varsity came out torching in the first game against HIS. Colin Ji netted two goals and they played phenomenal defense. They dictated the possession of the ball and played at their own pace. Due to an unfortunate bounce off the defender, the game ended 2:1, a DIS victory. 

Brian Hyun dives for the ground ball. His quick hands make him a menace keeping the post.

Next up, they faced an unprecedented group with a combination of two schools: GIFS and AIS. The hybrid team possessed the length and skill that stunned the Jets. They scored goal after goal and it came down to a tie game with 10 seconds left. On their final attack, an AIS striker threaded the ball through the defensive tackles and won the game 3:2. 

Even after pouring it their all, they lost the game. The defeat stung like a thousand bees. Still panting for air, the players drudgingly walked to the center to shake the opponent’s hands. Regardless, they held their heads up high and brought each other up to prepare for the next game.

“I felt like throughout the game and even before the game, we were the better team overall, but I think that the thought that we were going to beat them for sure before the game started kinda got through us and didn’t have us working as hard from the beginning as we did with the HIS game. That attitude lingered throughout the entire match and the other players from the other teams hustled really well. They have good communication. We did tie the game twice and were very excited but it was a bummer to take a defeat at the end of the game with a last-minute goal,” said Colin Ji, varsity striker.

Dylan Wang leaps over the HIS ace to keep possession of the fly-ball. Jayden Ahn looks at him in shock of his vertical ability. (Tiffany Lee)

The final match-up against ISB agitated the DIS players. The game proceeded with a lot of shirt-pulling, trash-talking, and yellow cards. Players kicked dirt, annoyed by the referee’s decision. The audience from the benches rose with confusion with every call. With everyone fired up, the bears and the jets locked horns. It ended 1-0 with a Bear’s victory. Both teams showed sportsmanship and the spite stayed only on the pitch. 

“I believe that the referee’s decisions throughout the whole game were absurd. They were the worst calls I have ever seen in Futsal, Soccer, KISAC, SKAC, you name it. One of the worst calls in such an important game like that is when a win can determine if you can go to the finals or not, I believe that the refs play a huge role and they were very biased,” said Aaron Shin, varsity midfielder. 

YiManuel Cortez head buts the ball into the back of the net. The perfect lob sets him up for the finish.

Although the day ended for varsity, JV squeezed their way into the finals. With a record of 2 wins and 1 loss, they matched up against HIS in the championship game. After the strenuous 30 minutes, HIS brought the trophy back home. The DIS win streak ended. 

Both JV and Varsity sought the championship more than ever but fell short. They put in two hundred percent of their effort and pushed themselves past their limits. Even with the losses, the team felt more connected than ever.

Noah Don Hwang lunges his body towards the shot for the miraculous save. Even as his first time playing goal keeper, he stands strong and guards the goal posts. (Hailey Tzou)
View Comments (3)
About the Contributors
Ethan Rossmeisl
Ethan Rossmeisl, Sports Editor
From Varsity Basketball star to a Model United Nations delegate, Ethan Rossmeisl committed himself as an active member of the DIS community for a decade. His love of athletics makes him a perfect fit for reporting DIS Sports as a new writer for the Jets Flyover. With his wide range of talents, Ethan dominates all grounds. His leadership positions as Chess club president and all-star medalist in KISAC have taught him invaluable lessons on dedication and he hopes to bring this determination and hard-working attitude to his writing.

Sunny Oh
Sunny Oh, Photographer / Designer
Sunny starts a new chapter of her life as a photographer and designer on the Jets Flyover staff. Even though she could not take journalism class as a sophomore, she volunteered to take photos during her free time, many of the shots making it into the yearbook. Sunny loves music, dance, art, and sports, especially volleyball. She brings her passion for aesthetics to the Flyover, aspiring to bring the yearbook to the next level.

Tiffany Lee
Tiffany Lee, Photographer / Designer
Tiffany, an avid illustrator and photographer, returns to journalism for her second year of designing the yearbook. In college, she plans to pursue a major in the STEM field. In her free time, she binge-watches Netflix series and spends quality time with her loved ones. As the president of the Illusion Dance Team, Tiffany leads the squad to perform for the Jets. She hopes to bring this cheer to the Jets Flyover as well.

Hailey Tzou
Hailey Tzou, Photographer / Designer
As a first year member of the Jets Flyover staff and a DIS veteran, Hailey knows the ins and outs of school events. She loves every sport including volleyball, basketball, and futsal. Through her previous experiences in winning several SKAC tournaments, she looks forward to taking active pictures. In her free time, Hailey enjoys watching movies, hanging out with her friends, and spending time with her cats. Hoping to bring a positive impact to the team, she takes the role of a photographer, designer, and editor.