• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

Boys call the shots, girls undergo growing pains

Jets look like the heir to the next championship
Flora Chung
The Sharks corner the mini Jet, Raina Kang. They cut to open spaces to free themselves for a pass.

The DIS basketball elementary rookies gathered at the Jetnasium for the SKAC Divisionals on May 4. They looked to challenge their limits against other athletes from across the country. Four teams attended the tournament: DIS, International School of Busan (ISB), Busan Foreign School (BFS), and Handong International School (HIS).

Arthur Silva takes it up the court as the point guard. He scans the floor and makes the flawless pocket pass for a bucket. (Flora Chung)

The boys ruled as the kings of the court, and all their games led to a blowout by at least double digits. The tournament went like a walk in the park for the youngsters, and just like that, varsity secured three wins in their bag.

Kevin Jang surveys the court as he jogs down for the attack. He carefully spots his defenders and positions himself in the perfect spot for a rebound. (Flora Chung)

“It was kind of easy because we were too good. We beat all the other teams like 28:4, and I wanted it to be more competitive. We can win SKAC easily,” said varsity starter Joseph Cho in fourth grade.

The home fans erupt with excitement. They chant “DIS fighting” and push them to win the game. (Flora Chung)

Unlike the boys’, the girls’ competition told a different story. They got off to a rocky start. The oversaturation of DIS teams caused the girls to duel their own classmates. They faced heated games that came down to small margins. Unfortunately, they failed to prevail in clutch moments. 

Purnima Cha throws up a prayer as a last resort in the game’s final seconds. The other girls horde her to not give a single chance for a shot. (Flora Chung)

Simple mistakes piled up and morale lowered. Their coach Ms. Loutsch brought them back together as she called time-out. With her motivation in their hearts, they gelled and focused on teamwork. They started to score more even though they still lost.

Raina Kang launches one from deep. Even with the tough contest, she nails the shot for the lead. (Flora Chung)

“Compared to the beginning of the year, we learned not only to shoot but also to pass and dribble. It was a really good opportunity to showcase our skills because our school isn’t that good at basketball, but this season, I think we worked really hard, and I think our coach Ms. Loutsch taught us a lot of things,” said a varsity player Tracy Kim in fifth grade. 

Allie Moon picks the ball up for a shot from behind the arc. She out runs the opponent with her speed and agility. (Flora Chung)

Both elementary squads acknowledged their talents. With the chances of conquering SKAC greater than ever for the boys and a speedy development from the girls, they strive to take home both trophies from HIS on Saturday, Jun. 1.

Student coach Noah Don Hwang spits wisdom at the elementary boys. He fires them up to come back. (Flora Chung)
Ian Lee splits the defense on the way for an open look. Thanks to coach Bartolay, he masters the killer crossover. (Flora Chung)
Ethan Rossmeisl
Ethan Rossmeisl, Sports Editor
From Varsity Basketball star to a Model United Nations delegate, Ethan Rossmeisl committed himself as an active member of the DIS community for a decade. His love of athletics makes him a perfect fit for reporting DIS Sports as a new writer for the Jets Flyover. With his wide range of talents, Ethan dominates all grounds. His leadership positions as Chess club president and all-star medalist in KISAC have taught him invaluable lessons on dedication and he hopes to bring this determination and hard-working attitude to his writing.

Flora Chung
Flora Chung, Broadcast Journalist
Flora takes cues from her favorite media as a video production staffer. She tells her stories with a creative zest. A lover of visual storytelling, she finds inspiration in music, especially LANY. Outside work, Flora likes to paint and unwind with peaceful moments. In art class, her favorite, she explores her passion for aesthetics. Her bio brims with enthusiasm, reflecting her unique blend of interests.

• K

KevinJun 13, 2024 at 6:12 pm

Let’s go jets lets win next year too!

• J

jayJun 2, 2024 at 6:21 am

we won 2 trophies in the finals yesterday!!

• S

Sean kimMay 30, 2024 at 7:29 pm

More trophies!!! Great job Jets!

• P

PyoMay 30, 2024 at 7:21 pm

Nice job jets good job bring the trophies home let’s go jets.

• J

Joseph BeckMay 22, 2024 at 7:27 pm

Letsss gooo jetsss!!

• S

SolaMay 21, 2024 at 9:00 am

LETSSSS GOOO JETSSSS