ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • [K-12] NJHS Women's Health Access Dress Down Day on May 29th.
  • SKAC HS Soccer 7's @ISB on May 23rd.
  • SKAC MS Basketball Finals @ISB/BFS on May 22nd.
  • KISAC MS Girls Basketball Tournament @DIS on May 17th-18th.
  • KISAC MS Boys Basketball Tournament @KISJ on May 16th-18th.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC HS Soccer 7's @ISB on May 23rd.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Home run hero Kim Young Woong leads Samsung Lions on offense but shifts infield positions

Team surges from basement dwellers to second place
Kim Yeong Woong leads the Lions in home runs. He must improve his defense if he wants to become a true superstar in the KBO. (Christine Park)

Kim Young Woong, the dynamic rookie third baseman and former shortstop for the Samsung Lions shows prowess on the field, electrifies fans, and earns the title of the team’s home run leader. Initially a replacement for injured player Lee Jae Hyeon, Kim swiftly emerged as a force as he showcased unparalleled skill and determination at bat.

In a sport where every swing counts, Kim hones his abilities to perfection. When at bat, Kim’s hitting style differs from the KBO (Korean Baseball Organization) norm; he whacks hefty full swings, which is common only in American Major League Baseball, but not so much in Korea.

As the Samsung Lions’ long-run leader, Kim has a knack for clearing the outfield fence, much to the delight of fans and teammates alike. His hand-eye coordination and ability to smash fastballs builds up his reputation as a formidable opponent for any pitcher that faces off against the Lions.

However, Young Woong’s insatiable hunger for homers sometimes leads to strikeouts. He swings for the fences, which results in missing pitches outside the strike zone, evident by his under .300 batting average. Yet with each at-bat, Kim gains valuable experience and learns from his mistakes. As he progresses in his career, he will undoubtedly develop the discipline and patience needed to become a more formidable hitter and improve his stats.

On the other hand, fans pinpoint areas for improvement in his infield game. 12th grader Bolt Yi said, “His defensive sense is good, but he needs to improve on his throws to other infielders after fielding a hit. It is true that Young Woong has good basics as a player, but he is not an excellent defensive player and needs to have some training dealing with tough spins”

Kim shifted from shortstop to third base because of infield throwing errors. Lee Jae Hyeon recovered from his injury and returned to shortstop. Yi said, “Right now he is playing third baseman inevitably because Lee Jae Hyeon has significantly better abilities as a defending player. He has 3 errors in 19 games played as a shortstop, only one of them being a throwing error, which proves that he does not have good glove control abilities such as dealing with short bounds and large bounces that go slightly above the head.”

He is the player with the most homeruns on the team. Even if he makes a few mistakes, his defense is also really improving. I think that all fans can look forward to his development in the future.

— Ella Kim, grade 12

10th grader Brian Hyun said, “He’s somewhat sufficient for a third baseman but definitely still not up for higher standards. Average successful defense rates for a shortstop are 98.1% while Kim only shows 96.8%. That 1%-2% may look small, but as a shortstop, even a drop of .2% leads to a direct pay reduction.” Minor details matter in the Korean majors.

Hyun said, “His defense indeed is a very big issue regarding the fact that Samsung wants him to be a future shortstop, but now he isn’t proving enough for it. He’s currently ranked 28th on fielding percentage for shortstops, 26th for third baseman. He already made a crucial error once as a third baseman.”

As the season progresses, fans fixate on Kim despite his flaws. Senior Ella Kim said, “He is the player with the most homeruns on the team. Even if he makes a few mistakes, his defense is also really improving. I think that all fans can look forward to his development in the future.” Kim’s good physique, especially his broad shoulders, bolster his defensive promise.

As the Lions turn things around and rise to the top of the KBO, Kim solidifies his position as not only a standout player but also a rising star in the world of baseball.

View Comments (2)
About the Contributors
Jessica Woo
Jessica Woo, Managing Editor
A eleven year veteran at DIS, Jessica Woo returns to the Flyover staff in her junior year. As an engaged student who loves to read and write, Jessica helps other students improve and always attempts to step up as a writer herself. Founder of the Jets Broadcasting Service, she communicates and delivers informative messages to the DIS community. As much as she adores writing, Jessica deems herself a baseball-holic and attempts to watch every game if possible. 

Christine Park
Christine Park, Illustrator
After years of persuasion from her peers that sparked intrinsic motivation, Christine Park finally enters Journalism as a senior. Chris’s greatest passion revolves around the field of art and anime. Her role as the president of the National Art Honors Society and Visual Arts Club proves the enthusiasm she bears for artistry. As the new illustrator for the Jets Flyover, Chris is eager to dive into journalism and share her artwork and comics with a wider audience.