ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Rummikub Fever Hits DIS

Game masters meet their match in the inaugural tournament of tiles
Some players argue that strategy and composure are key components of victory in a round of Rummikub. Freshman Jayden Hayward demonstrates just that when their turn to lay out some moves returns.

From middle and high school students to parents and teachers, a lively assembly of 48 players gathered for the first-ever official Rummikub competition in the Jetnasium on March 23. Although the event was scheduled to end at 3 p.m., the contestants tested their luck and strategy until sunset. 

Hosted by the official Rummikub competition organization, the tournament allowed all players at least eight games, distributed evenly in the span of two rounds. Only the top four advanced to the two final rounds of additional games. They battled for limited-edition Rummikub sets and an opportunity to compete in further championships. 

With the last tiles placed on the table, the winner emerged. “I won 5 rounds out of 8 rounds. Organizing your tiles is the most important thing, I think, and when to put jokers and your cards. Timing is the most important thing, and always be thinking about your tiles,” said Claire Kim in eighth grade, the top scorer of the day. 

Amidst the intense gameplay, personal narratives also unfolded. Ms. Wang, the host of the event and Rummikub club adviser, said, “One day, my mom and I participated in the official [Rummikub] competition in Busan, and we had a lot of fun. So, my parents suggested running a Rummikub ASA, and now, I’m having a lot of fun with my students [in the ASA]. Then, they finally suggested, ‘What about just hosting a Rummikub competition at DIS?’ So, everything came from my parents’ idea.” 

Some also found an opportunity to reconnect with their inner child. “I just like [Rummikub] because our whole family used to play together. I like that it helps me enjoy some family time,” added junior Hailey Tzou. 

Ms. Prestia, a second-grade teacher, echoed this sentiment: “I grew up playing the card game Rummy, and [Rummikub is] similar to that card game. It’s fun to challenge myself, meet new people, and keep my brain active,” she said.

Claire Kim, CJ Park, and Agnew Kim in eighth grade and Leewen Wang in ninth grade proceeded to the final rounds. The first place prize went to Claire Kim, 2nd place went to CJ Park, 3rd place went to Leewen Wang, and 4th place went to Agnew Kim.

At the end of the day, participants bid each other farewell with newfound skills, strategies, and friendships under their belt. While the event certainly marked a successful first-time opportunity for board game aficionados, it foreshadows more to come. “I hope that later, I can make the tournament open to the public—basically anybody—and not only within the DIS community, so that more and more people can enjoy this fun board game together,” ended Ms. Wang.

View Comments (7)
About the Contributors
Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Jackson Chiang
Jackson Chiang, Photographer / Designer
Jackson Chiang, a junior at Daegu International School, enters the world of journalism with his passion for photography. He loves to capture paramount moments on campus through camera lenses. In his free time, he often goes to the movies and listens to music. Jackson looks forward to studying medicine in college. With the diverse and supportive nature of the DIS community, Jackson expands his horizons as he continues to nurture his affection for photography and design.