ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Middle school boys’ volleyball thumps SKAC for back-to-back titles

Conference finals held at the home of the Jets
Selina Son
William Seo (number 16) smashes down his middle spike to the opposite court. With his quick speed, William strikes the ball with force, leaving his opponent speechless after the hit.

Middle school boys’ volleyball welcomed other schools to the Jetnasium for the SKAC Finals on Feb. 26. The varsity squad defended their title as the 2023 champions. Junior varsity (JV) advanced to the finals but lost in a deuce against Atherton International School (AIS).

The A team went undefeated throughout the tournament. Despite the bitter loss of the first set (15-25) against the International School of Busan (ISB), they overcame the minor setback and won the following sets (25-20 and 15-12). “I think the team wasn’t warmed up enough in the morning. It was quite sad that we lost one set, but the team managed to get back in the game,” said Jacob McAteer, 8th grade varsity middle blocker.

DIS faced Gyeongnam International Foreign School (GIFS) in their second game. Even with only 5 players, GIFS stood strong and fought until the bitter end with resilience. Ultimately, the Jets defeated the Tigers with set scores of 25-13 and 25-13. 

The last match of the round-robin exhibited major intensity. As the home crowd roared, DIS took both sets against Busan Foreign School (BFS) with scores of 25-19 and 25-23. Alex Seo, middle blocker and team captain, spiked a powerful middle hit onto the other side and finished the neck-on-neck set with a double ace serve.

The boys’ varsity faced off against BFS in the finals. The Jets easily took the lead and finished the game: 25-19, 25-13. Neel Koirala, BFS libero, said, “[The game] was really intense. There were good parts and bad parts. I think we fought really well against DIS even though they got a really good lead but I think we tried our best and it was a really good game.”

Along with the first-place trophy, Alex Seo attained the coveted all-tournament team captain title alongside Ashton Kim from ISB and Joel Park from BFS. 

JV achieved the second seed in the round-robin and climbed their way up to the finals. 6th grade outside hitter Sean Kim said, “The games were really intense. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get the win. I feel like the net touches were pretty unfortunate, but the tournament went really smoothly.”

The close game in the JV finals let down players, partially due to questionable calls from the referees. “Even though the ball was clearly in, [the refs] said that the ball was out and we lost the point,” Kim said. The second set ended 26-24 where a single referee call may have juked the win for the Jets.

The varsity team earned their first trophy for season 2 and improved by leaps and bounds throughout the tourney. This victory marked a repeat championship for middle school boys’ volleyball. Look forward to KISAC season finale results on the Flyover sports page.

View Comments (4)
About the Contributors
Alex Seo
Alex Seo, Writer
Alex Seo, an eighth-grader who loves to write, returns to the Flyover to share school news and personal opinions. He plays a diverse array of sports which include futsal, volleyball, and badminton. SKAC events deliver Alex with an indescribable thrill. He loves to deep dive into topics that hype him up. In order to realize his dream position as a future Flyover editor, Alex plans to further craft his journalist skills this year.
Ava Cho
Ava Cho, Photographer / Designer
Ava, a senior at Daegu International School, loved art and design ever since childhood. She moved to DIS in 9th grade because she decided to study art abroad. In her free time, she loves going to galleries and taking pictures of the city and nature. Music is her biggest inspiration for her art. Due to her interest in art and design, she will take her place as an editor for the yearbook. Ava is looking forward to showing her passion as an illustrator for the Jets Flyover.   

Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Elisa Triolo
Elisa Triolo, Writer and Illustrator
Elisa Triolo, a new writer for Flyover, brings a whimsical vibe to the team. Supported by compliments from teachers and experienced people alike, Elisa immerses herself into the abyss of words, where she can bask in her ability to write. With a spirited style to bring her imagery to life, Elisa employs her dreams and manages to weave them into her stories. She also wears Motorsports, history, and art on her sleeve, and loves to share her opinions.

Selina Son
Selina Son, Section Editor
DIS veteran Selina Son breaks ground in her first year as a writer on the Jets Flyover staff. With confidence, extroversion, and a dash of charisma, she jumps from classroom to classroom to share her hot takes. From social issues to science conspiracies, Selina knows it all. As the president of SOAR and string orchestra, Selina graces the campus with bubbles of entertainment and joy.
Raina Lee
Raina Lee, Multimedia Director
Raina Lee returns for her second year of journalism as the Multimedia Director. She hopes to elevate the Flyover presence on and off campus and inspire budding Jets with her writing, designs, and photography. On top of her leadership role, she strives to continue writing articles across genres from opinion polls to social issues. Outside of the classroom, she vibes to music, pops by trendy shops, watches sports, and constantly looks for journalistic inspiration.