Elementary futsal teams host first-ever friendly matches against local school

DIS continues to open the gates for further sports competitions
Arthur+Silva+in+fourth+grade+sends+a+pass+across+the+pitch.+He+eyes+a+striker+on+the+opposite+end.+
Sankeeth Udayakumar
Arthur Silva in fourth grade sends a pass across the pitch. He eyes a striker on the opposite end.

The elementary futsal teams played a friendly match against the Haeseo Elementary School soccer team on the DIS futsal fields after school on Nov. 9th. Students experienced their first non-competitive games as the teams faced off, liberated from the responsibility of trophy pursuits.

“This event was a combination of Mr. Jolly and other office members coordinating with other schools and the players wanting to play more matches. This made us want to reach out to local teams, and it was great for Haeseo to agree and visit here. Although these friendly matches are not a tournament, it is still a great way for players to improve their skills by playing against others,” said Mr. Bergan, DIS athletic director.

Participants from both schools were randomly assigned to teams, then they played round-robin against every opponent once. By the end of the event, the DIS boys’ A and Haeseo soccer teams took center stage in a standout match. Cheers erupted from both sides of the field as students chanted at their fellow classmates. 

“I think the DIS team is really good because they are more coordinated and faster than us. But even though they are better, I think we should try our best to win, and we hope to do so,” said Geonyul Park, an offense player on the Haeseo soccer team. 

Despite the anticipation of a close match, DIS safely secured all points. Three brief games were planned to even out the unbalance in the number of players. DIS won all three interim sessions, the scores being 2:0, 1:0, and 1:0.

“This was a fun match for us because we got to play futsal with a school that we hadn’t played before. Because it was also a friendly match, our team can be more relaxed while playing, and there is less risk of getting injuries, so we can just have fun without thinking about results,” said Arthur Silva, striker of the DIS A squad.

Regardless of the results, students utilized this opportunity for interactions. Players got along well with the common goal and hobby of futsal. Parents from both institutions also attended to witness friends from different educational and cultural backgrounds mix and mingle.

“It is not common for students from the American educational system to interact with Korean students. I think this opportunity made it possible for this to happen, and I saw students interacting with each other although Haeseo students aren’t the best at speaking English. It was wholesome to see as a parent,” said Geonyul Park’s mother.

Although the official season came to an end, the elementary players move forward. Players continue to participate in friendly matches and practices to enhance their abilities in preparation for next season. What matters most, in the end, is that their commitment derives from a genuine interest in the sport of futsal.

Andrew Shim
Andrew Shim, Writer
Now a senior, Andrew begins his second year with the Jets Flyover. Eager to write about the latest news and sports, Andrew takes his passion to the next level in the multimedia program. In his leisure time, he often finds himself lost in the wonders of science. Aside from his interest in journalism, Andrew hopes to improve his photography skills in order to capture every moment of his last year in DIS.

Sankeeth Udayakumar
Sankeeth Udayakumar, Photographer and Photo Editor
Sankeeth, a sophomore in high school returns for his third year in Jets Flyover. He found himself an avid fan of comics and just found a new hobby recently. He loves photography and kicked off his brand new career. Developing his camera skills, he captures memories around the campus and sends out witty graphics from time to time. He expects this year to be a great year for the newspaper.