ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Elementary leaders step up for first-ever Fall Festival

Student council members entertain their peers through arts, crafts, and mini-games

As the leaves turned red and gold, the Elementary Student Council held the first Fall Festival on Oct. 19. All primary grades joined to celebrate the prelude of the season. Most importantly, council leadership excelled throughout the day. 

Throughout the festival, students enjoyed various crafts, relay races, and fun mini-games. Once they participated in a few activities, they created different artwork and sketches related to fall. Tanu Banerjee in third grade said, “I was in the crafts station. I had fun making different types of crafts that were related to fall.” 

Backstage, the festa involved a long process. Elementary student council members planned out the event with the guidance of Ms. Bielec, the advisor of the council. “For the Fall Festival, the student council first chose a date. We then used a similar time frame that has been used in the past. We first worked on a relay and thought about how we should change the difficulty level for K to 2 and 3 to 5,” said Ms. Bielec. 

Members gave their all to host an unforgettable experience for all primary schoolers. For example, organizers put on games for all ages. Council member Amelia Park in grade 3 said, “We thought of games that are appropriate for all grade levels where everyone can enjoy.” The elementary associates also found crafts that all grades could participate in without any trouble. 

Teachers complimented the organization and guidance of the council body for the smooth coordination of the festival. With clear instructions from the committee members, students navigated their way through the event with ease. First-grade instructor Ms. Downie said, “I was highly impressed by how well the student council members organized and led all of the other students.” Inside of the young minds, elementary teachers saw leadership and determination. 

The members humbly dedicated their achievements to their adviser. Park said, “I don’t think the event would have been successful without Ms. Bielec. She always helped us when we were preparing everything.” 

Thanks to the contributions of ESC, the Fall Festival pleased the masses. “On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate it as an 11,” said Ms. Downie. Stay tuned for more events from these budding representatives. 

10
View Comments (10)
About the Contributors
Jessica Woo
Jessica Woo, Managing Editor
A eleven year veteran at DIS, Jessica Woo returns to the Flyover staff in her junior year. As an engaged student who loves to read and write, Jessica helps other students improve and always attempts to step up as a writer herself. Founder of the Jets Broadcasting Service, she communicates and delivers informative messages to the DIS community. As much as she adores writing, Jessica deems herself a baseball-holic and attempts to watch every game if possible. 

Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication. 

Anna Yoon
Anna Yoon, Writer
Since elementary school, Anna Yoon soaked up music and sports like a sponge. Skiing, volleyball, and the flute truly pique her interest.  As first chair in the orchestra and vice president of the Student Athletic Advisory Committee, Anna proves that nothing can stop her once she puts her mind to it. Her diligence breaks through in multiple opportunities to volunteer and enter ski and research competitions outside of school. This year, video editing tops her list of goals. She extends her love of AP Psychology into the articles that she pens for the Flyover.
Eugene Sung
Eugene Sung, Writer
Caffeine addict Eugene Sung rejoins the Jets Flyover team as a writer in his junior year at Daegu International School. His short attention span and passion for exploration means he ventures around Daegu often to visit local cafes and see the sights. His love for traveling inspires most of his writing, as he often journals about his experiences. He hopes to bring this curious spirit to the Flyover as a writer to take interesting pictures, meet new people, and discover captivating locations.

Flora Chung, Photographer / Videographer