ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Movie Night opens dialogue on systemic racism

SOAR launches first-ever film discussion
Justin+Huh+in+eighth+grade+raises+his+hand+to+share+his+perspective+on+systematic+racism.+Justin+shares+his+thought+on+the+impact+of+a+flawed+amendment+on+a+minority+population.+
Annie Cho
Justin Huh in eighth grade raises his hand to share his perspective on systematic racism. Justin shares his thought on the impact of a flawed amendment on a minority population.

SOAR (Students Organizing Against Racism) launched its first-ever movie night where students of all ages gathered to discuss the history of racism in America. The DIS community gathered to watch the documentary “The 13th” which explores the intersection of race, justice, and mass incarceration in the United States. More than thirty participants enjoyed snacks and pizza while holding meaningful discussions on the history of racism on Feb. 1.

The movie explored the deep-rooted systemic racism within the U.S. criminal justice system and the historical and legislative origins of mass incarceration disproportionately affecting African Americans. The documentary argues a loophole in the 13th Amendment exists which allows systemic oppression of the minority group.

Throughout the documentary, the group paused for discussions on numerous topics such as the impact of the laws imposed by the US government. Jamila Karam, a senior, said, “Watching the documentary got me to keep on asking myself to what extent and why is it to that extent that racial segregation exists.” 

Yujun Piao, a freshman, also said, “I think this is similar to the situation in Korea with suspected Chinese drug dealers. While trying to punish those Chinese immigrants who deal drugs, it is possible that Korean citizens became more subjective in criticizing the Chinese immigrants who are in Korea that might not have been involved in any kind of drug.” Similarly, in the documentary the US government’s stereotypes that Black people do drugs resulted in unfair court proceedings. 

After deep conversations, the group ended the day with pizza for dinner. Jayden Hayward, a freshman, said, “I think hearing everybody’s opinions on the same topic and how each person interpreted the topic of racism and the use of victimization was interesting. And in the media, I think everyone had a different take on it, even though it was the same topic. That was really interesting to learn about.” The day brought the convergence of diverse perspectives from all grades on a controversial topic.

SOAR will continue to raise awareness for racism in DIS with a celebration of February, Black History Month, with lobby displays to share the culture of the minority population. 

View Comments (3)
About the Contributor
Annie Cho
Annie Cho, Writer
Annie returns for a second year in Jets Flyover as an enthusiastic sophomore. She leads SNHS, Peer Tutoring Club, and Debate Club. In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching TV shows, and playing sports in her free time. This year she hopes to share interesting and engaging stories with the DIS community.