Middle school ice skaters glide into fun

Students savor a cold day on the ice with hot treats, board games, and a pair of skates to go
Sixth+graders+Olivia+Cho+and+Esther+Choi+hold+each+other+closely+as+they+brave+the+chilly+air+of+the+skating+rink.+They+find+warmth+in+their+friendship.+
Jessica Woo
Sixth graders Olivia Cho and Esther Choi hold each other closely as they brave the chilly air of the skating rink. They find warmth in their friendship.

Excitement filled the air as over seventy junior high students flooded the ice skating rink, invited by the Middle School Student Council (MSSC) for a day of icy fun. Laughter echoed in the skating rink at Suseong Lake as friends glided and twirled this past Jan. 25th. 

“It was a perfect amount of time. Nobody got hurt, there was tons of food, we had lots of food left over, and we had board games in case people got bored and didn’t want to skate anymore. But everybody had so much fun skating and eating and just socializing that we didn’t even need the board games. We also had lots of chaperones that helped out, so that was really helpful,” said Mrs. Jolly, the coordinator of the MSSC.

From novice skaters to veterans, kids enjoyed the opportunity to practice their skills. “I’ve been to the ice rink before, but with the school, it was my first time. It was very nice, and since I had my friends, it was better. We all kind of skated together. We didn’t just separate and skate — we helped each other if students didn’t know how to skate,” said Luisa Silva in seventh grade.

As the party drew to a close around 6 p.m., the middle schoolers bid farewell to each other with new memories to take home. The MSSC’s winter event wrapped up the first and coldest month of the new year.

11
Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Jessica Woo
Jessica Woo, Managing Editor
A eleven year veteran at DIS, Jessica Woo returns to the Flyover staff in her junior year. As an engaged student who loves to read and write, Jessica helps other students improve and always attempts to step up as a writer herself. Founder of the Jets Broadcasting Service, she communicates and delivers informative messages to the DIS community. As much as she adores writing, Jessica deems herself a baseball-holic and attempts to watch every game if possible.