Talent Show shifts to first semester

High School Student Council makes the move due to a crammed spring schedule

The High School Student Council (HSSC) made a decision to move this year’s Talent Show from March to November. This marks an unprecedented change, for all previous talent shows normally took place in the spring. With the dates shifted, various aspects of the execution process also changed. The auditions, for example, will be held on an earlier date. An exchange of opinions between parents and the administration led to the move.

“The Council was notified in August [about the change in dates], so we accordingly arranged the auditions to take place between November 6th and the 8th and the actual performance to the 21st. The audition we have this year is the first in-person audition we had since 2019, which I think is a special aspect for this year,” Tommy Jang, vice president of the HSSC, said.

The sudden change brought about logistical concerns among the members. “The other executives and I were expecting to prepare for other events such as festive parties. However, our topic suddenly changed into the talent show, so we had to work on two projects simultaneously for a while, which was more demanding than what we had expected,” Jang added. 

Despite challenges, participants remain determined to deliver their talents. “When I heard the news, it was shocking because I thought I would have a lot of time to prepare. At first, I was worried if I could make it, but as I practiced for the show, I felt more confident. For this year, I am planning to decide from singing, ballet, and playing cello. I have been learning from teachers for all three areas for a very long time, so I am very confident about doing any of them,” Tracy Kim in fifth grade said.

The multifaceted students of DIS strive to perfect their performances before the show. Participants may worry over the tight schedule and toil over practice sessions, but on a side note, many stand eager with the opportunity to introduce their flairs to the student body earlier than ever.

The poster for the 2023 Talent Show marks November 21st as the new official date. Courtesy of the High School Student Council.
Andrew Shim
Andrew Shim, Writer
Now a senior, Andrew begins his second year with the Jets Flyover. Eager to write about the latest news and sports, Andrew takes his passion to the next level in the multimedia program. In his leisure time, he often finds himself lost in the wonders of science. Aside from his interest in journalism, Andrew hopes to improve his photography skills in order to capture every moment of his last year in DIS.

Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Catherine Park
Catherine Park, Editor in Chief
Cath loves writing stories and making art. Luckily, God gifted her a talented left hand. As the vice president of the National Arts Honor Society, she can be seen drawing around campus. Cath explores many different genres of books, music, movies, and activities, and is willing to explore more about them throughout her experience as the editor-in-chief. All she needs is paper, a pencil, an eraser, and her dog, Russell. Cath writes, illustrates comics, edits articles, and manages the Jets Flyover.
Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication. 

Christine Park
Christine Park, Illustrator
After years of persuasion from her peers that sparked intrinsic motivation, Christine Park finally enters Journalism as a senior. Chris’s greatest passion revolves around the field of art and anime. Her role as the president of the National Art Honors Society and Visual Arts Club proves the enthusiasm she bears for artistry. As the new illustrator for the Jets Flyover, Chris is eager to dive into journalism and share her artwork and comics with a wider audience.