TEDx breaks boundaries this March

Public speakers explore the theme of “elasticity” for the annual talk
Speakers+passionately+delivered+their+speeches+at+last+years+event+and+set+a+strong+precedent+for+2024.+
Leanne Yoon
Speakers passionately delivered their speeches at last year’s event and set a strong precedent for 2024.

TEDx made its name as a worldwide speech event in which faculty and students come together to share diverse ideas and thoughts. Modeled after the original TED Talks, these prestigious gatherings bring honor to any campus that earns the privilege to host. 

TEDx finds success in the DIS Presentation Hall in 2023. This year the conference finds new footing in the Jetnasium. The larger venue holds a larger capacity. Photo by Lewis Kim.

For the event to take place, schools need approval known as the TEDx license, granted by the conference. The DIS TEDx team successfully secured their spot among various distinguished international schools for the third consecutive year. The qualification process, which typically spans over seven months, was completed in four months. This allowed speakers to plan their speeches and practice with ample time. Now, as they gear up for the program, members outline the modifications for this year.

The main contrast between this and last year’s events mostly comes from the speech topics, which became more diverse. Ms. Loutsch, the main organizer, said, “Advice we received from TEDx is to make sure we don’t have all of the speeches just centered around one theme.”

The number of speakers also remarkably decreased, with 15 last year and 12 now. “We shrank the number of speakers because we weren’t able to fit all of the speeches in the event last year. Having fewer speakers would save so much more time,” said Ms. Loutsch.

The team decided to conduct the talk in the gym, which established a more open environment for both the presenters and the audience. In the previous venue, the presentation hall, the confined space disrupted the overall focus. As a result, the hosts chose the gymnasium to alleviate such concerns. 

The Daegu International School Royal Philharmonic Chamber String Orchestra performs during intermission of 2023 TEDx. Despite the small space, the musicians managed to fill the room with delicate notes. Photo by Lewis Kim.

This year’s event also offers special events to add a splash of fun. “We are trying to give a new change in the way of entertaining the audiences during the intermission time. This year for the intermission, unlike last year when the orchestra performed, TEDx is inviting several lunch clubs to come together to showcase their group while our rock bands perform for the audience.” said senior Alex Lee, the co-organizer of the team. 

He added, “I am confident to say this year is going to be the one that lasts for everyone. As DIS is the only school in Daegu to host a TEDx event, I would like to see a lot of appreciation and participation from the middle and high school community. I hope many people can come and join the event. See you there.” TEDx welcomes attendees to the Jetnasium on Wednesday, Mar. 13. 

Serena Travers
Serena Travers, Writer
A rising senior, Serena Travers returns to continue her avid passion for journalism. This year, she aspires to share her thoughts, meet new people, and take the best of the best photos. She also plans to dabble in design to bring the yearbook to the next level as she leaves high school. She combines her love for psychology with her writing. Her excitement and dedication to the Flyover staff is evident by the fact that she takes two media classes at DIS.
Jessica Woo
Jessica Woo, Managing Editor
A eleven year veteran at DIS, Jessica Woo returns to the Flyover staff in her junior year. As an engaged student who loves to read and write, Jessica helps other students improve and always attempts to step up as a writer herself. Founder of the Jets Broadcasting Service, she communicates and delivers informative messages to the DIS community. As much as she adores writing, Jessica deems herself a baseball-holic and attempts to watch every game if possible. 

Lewis Kim
Lewis Kim, Photographer and Photo Editor
Lewis Hanseo Kim, a junior at DIS, reigns supreme as a passionate photographer, videographer, and scientist. His enthusiasm for photography motivated him to start the Yang-ro Won Picture Service Club, and his profound interest in science led him to conduct multiple studies, which earned him honorable recognition. From meticulous research and innovative engineering to creative photography, he always attempts unique endeavors that set him apart from his peers. From superhero motion graphics to award winning historical documentaries, his imagination knows no bounds. With his creative mind and top tier photography, Lewis hopes to bring the Jets Flyover to the next level. 
Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication.