Jets find their footing against Warriors

Varsity boys basketball invites DMHS to campus for the second friendly of the season
Ethan+Rossmeisl+%28number+5%29+leaps+to+finish+with+his+left+hand.+Ethan+embodies+the+iconic+Air+Jordan+silhouette+for+the+tough+layup.+
Selina Son
Ethan Rossmeisl (number 5) leaps to finish with his left hand. Ethan embodies the iconic “Air Jordan” silhouette for the tough layup.

The Daegu Middle High School (DMHS) Warriors visited the Jetnasium for round two of a midseason matchup last Tuesday, Jan. 16th. A crowd of DIS and DMHS supporters filled the bleachers that evening as the Student Athletic Advisory Committee sold pizza and beverages for hungry fans. The Jets sought revenge against the Warriors after DIS’ previous loss in December. 

The DIS students and parents pack the bleachers on Tuesday night. They cheer and energize the team to play with more intensity for a better game. (Jackson Chiang)

The DMHS roster stacked above DIS in sheer size alone, as their 6’ 3” 250lb freshman center towered over senior Dylan Wang. The physical differences between the two teams left DIS at a disadvantage. Nevertheless, determined to beat their cross-town rivals, the starting five, Ethan Rossmeisl (number 5) PG, Justin Son (number 24) SG, Dylan Wang (number 1) SF, Colin Ji (number 99) PF, and Haydn Mangione (number 30) C, warmed up for the tip-off.

Dylan Wang leaps for the basket after an offensive rebound against the towering Warriors center. Dylan sets then springs up to out-rebound the DMHS big men. (Selina Son)

The game began as Ethan Rossmeisl stole the first jump ball. DIS started strong as Haydn Mangione made tough buckets around the post against the man-to-man defense. Soon, the Warriors switched back to the 2-3 zone defense and regained their momentum. The quarter ended 9-10, with DMHS up by a single point.

Haydn Mangione goes face to face against the 6′ 4” DMHS center. He wins the bucket and outscored the Warrior big man. (Selina Son)

Unlike December, DIS handled the pressure much better. The Warriors extended their lead in the second quarter, and the Jets constantly bounced back. Colin Ji hit an important 3-pointer in transition, and the team caught a glimpse of victory. DMHS held their ground and the first half ended with the Jets down by 10 (33-23).

Colin Ji shoots and swishes a shot from behind the arc. Colin locks his sights on the rim and makes a crucial bucket. (Selina Son)
Illusion Dance Club performed a half-time show for the crowd. Their original choreography electrified the Jetnasium. Sophie Lee and Hailey Tzou work double shifts as both basketball players and dancers. (Jackson Chiang)

After Coach Kaschub’s brief speech, the squad prepared to take it back. For most of the third quarter, the Jets kept the flow going. After several difficult shots hit by Mangione and Ji, the third ended with a score of 45-36, DMHS still in the lead.

YiManuel Cortez brings the rock up the court and showcases his elite ball-handling skills. As point guard, he looks to dish out passes and keep the offense flowing. (Jackson Chiang)

Only down by single digits headed into the fourth, DIS looked to turn the tides and clinch a win. Unfortunately, the Warriors went on a scoring spree through transition layups and turnovers. With four minutes left on the clock and the Jets down by 14, the JV players stepped in to play during garbage time. In the end, the scoreboard flashed 65-48, a win for DMHS.

Justin Son launches the tough fadeaway jumper in the paint. Justin drives and rises to meet the DMHS defender in midair. (Selina Son)

“It was really exciting because the crowd was really excited, we were much closer than last time. I could tell that the other team was scared, and it felt really good because I felt like we could pull it together. It felt so good [making the difficult shots] because every single time, the other team was like, ‘there is no way it was gonna go in,’ but it went in, and I love that feeling,” said the fan favorite of the friendly, Haydn Mangione.

Chris Ryu practices perfect jump shot form to warm-up for the upcoming game. Chris lines up and softly splashes a deep two. (Selina Son)

The Warriors gave it their all. “It was good, it was competitive, and we got great game experience. These guys came out stronger, better and played with more energy. Today, I think 99 played the best. He’s strong and he got a good shot going on him too,” Adrian Tagalog (number 0), DMHS team captain, said.

Dylan Wang outruns the Warriors defenders and blazes to the opposite end of the court. He meets the DMHS center at the rim and finishes with a tough layup through contact. (Selina Son)

The Jets showed great energy and a significant amount of improvement. The hard work from the coaches and the DIS varsity squad paid off. Now the Jets vie for the championship trophy at SKAC and KISAC at the end of February.

Ethan Rossmeisl
Ethan Rossmeisl, Sports Editor
From Varsity Basketball star to a Model United Nations delegate, Ethan Rossmeisl committed himself as an active member of the DIS community for a decade. His love of athletics makes him a perfect fit for reporting DIS Sports as a new writer for the Jets Flyover. With his wide range of talents, Ethan dominates all grounds. His leadership positions as Chess club president and all-star medalist in KISAC have taught him invaluable lessons on dedication and he hopes to bring this determination and hard-working attitude to his writing.

Jackson Chiang
Jackson Chiang, Photographer / Designer
Jackson Chiang, a junior at Daegu International School, enters the world of journalism with his passion for photography. He loves to capture paramount moments on campus through camera lenses. In his free time, he often goes to the movies and listens to music. Jackson looks forward to studying medicine in college. With the diverse and supportive nature of the DIS community, Jackson expands his horizons as he continues to nurture his affection for photography and design.
Selina Son
Selina Son, Section Editor
DIS veteran Selina Son breaks ground in her first year as a writer on the Jets Flyover staff. With confidence, extroversion, and a dash of charisma, she jumps from classroom to classroom to share her hot takes. From social issues to science conspiracies, Selina knows it all. As the president of SOAR and string orchestra, Selina graces the campus with bubbles of entertainment and joy.