One Step, One Life: Daegu citizens support suicide prevention

DIS joins the Love Life, Night-Road Walking campaign for mental health awareness
Middle+and+high+school+Jets+eagerly+showed+up%2C+ready+to+walk+11.1km.+
Jackson Chiang
Middle and high school Jets eagerly showed up, ready to walk 11.1km.

The Love Life, Night-Road Walking (생명사랑밤길걷기) campaign unites students and parents each year to aid those who face seemingly insurmountable emotional pain under the slogan “One Step, One Life.” This Sept. 9, participants walked a total of 11.1km, which represented Korean suicide rates in 2023. But along with their friends and family, the three-hour-long walk passed quickly and made way for earnest conversations on the way.

Aiden Huh in ninth grade gets a watermelon tattoo from one of the campaign booths. (Selina Son)

The DIS Chaperone Volunteer Group joined the cause with almost 90 students and parents. From 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., participants from all around Daegu enjoyed face-painting, made badges with puns, and watched dance performances hosted by the organizers of the campaign. Then, over 3,000 volunteers carried out the motto of the event into the night. 

Jackson Chiang and Tommy Jang’s words support the ones contemplating suicide and encourage them to live on. (Selina Son)

Volunteers sported bibs with handwritten words of encouragement and a One Step, One Life t-shirt. One message read, “You may have failed, but you are not a failure. That’s what you did, not what you are.” After the recreational activities, the DIS members roared, “Fighting!” and fell into a comfortable pace as they chit-chatted with their peers through the three-hour walk.

Junior Selina Son takes the oath of chaperones, representing the students participating in the walk. (Jackson Chiang)

This year, Seoul canceled their walk because it didn’t add to service hours and required payment. However, even with the concern about cancellations and the lack of volunteer hours, in Daegu, over 3,000 people came together to show their support for the initiative and make memories through meaningful conversations. Mr. Sanggyu Lee, the president of the Korean Civilian Volunteer Society Daegu Chapter, said, “A lot of teenagers participate in this event each year, but because of the 10,000 KRW participation fee, they canceled the walk in Seoul. But in Daegu, we have the Chaperone Volunteer Organization, so I am confident that it’ll continue happening.” 

Freshman Haydn Mangione puts his certificate on display of another walk completed. (Selina Son)

“Every day, if you look closely at the news, it’s all about ‘suicide, suicide, and suicide.’ We’re in an extremely serious situation now. Hopefully, through these activities, society can also recognize and be alert to the status quo,” said Mr. Sanggyu Lee. 

The sight of thousands of volunteers in the One Step, One Life shirts convinces people to stop and think about the magnitude of this movement. “When 3,000 people are walking together, the news catches on. We are also showing our strength that we are all collectively together. In current society, suicide rates are high. This campaign has a legacy. It’s been running for years now and promotes itself a lot. I think it’s why many people participate,” said social worker Mrs. Eunhyang Lee, who participated with her daughter in middle school. 

Moreover, this campaign provides an open space for people to come through with their emotions as they track along the calm, empty roads of a warm night in Daegu. “Kids these days are busy with school life and more, which doesn’t give them a lot of time to be able to talk with their parents. Through events like these, while walking with their family members, they get the chance to talk about a variety of topics including worries and thoughts in their heads. The event can also help inform parents what their children are thinking about,” said Mr. Sanggyu Lee. 

Despite these efforts, the Korean public still shies away from the subject of mental health. We suffer from the notion that struggling with life makes you weak, shameful, and unsuccessful, but that’s just simply not true. Hopefully, this campaign will bring suicide discussions to the table and help decrease the number of people who harm themselves instead of reaching out — and along with it, the distance we walk each year.

Selina Son
Selina Son, Section Editor
DIS veteran Selina Son breaks ground in her first year as a writer on the Jets Flyover staff. With confidence, extroversion, and a dash of charisma, she jumps from classroom to classroom to share her hot takes. From social issues to science conspiracies, Selina knows it all. As the president of SOAR and string orchestra, Selina graces the campus with bubbles of entertainment and joy.
Catherine Park
Catherine Park, Editor in Chief
Cath loves writing stories and making art. Luckily, God gifted her a talented left hand. As the vice president of the National Arts Honor Society, she can be seen drawing around campus. Cath explores many different genres of books, music, movies, and activities, and is willing to explore more about them throughout her experience as the editor-in-chief. All she needs is paper, a pencil, an eraser, and her dog, Russell. Cath writes, illustrates comics, edits articles, and manages the Jets Flyover.
Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication. 

Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Jackson Chiang
Jackson Chiang, Photographer / Designer
Jackson Chiang, a junior at Daegu International School, enters the world of journalism with his passion for photography. He loves to capture paramount moments on campus through camera lenses. In his free time, he often goes to the movies and listens to music. Jackson looks forward to studying medicine in college. With the diverse and supportive nature of the DIS community, Jackson expands his horizons as he continues to nurture his affection for photography and design.