Greenpeace pops off bottle caps

Elementary students create designs with upcycled items
Fifth+graders+Aiden+Hwang+and+Akari+Kojima+design+their+very+own+turtle.+Hwang+carefully+glues+the+bottle+caps+onto+the+cardboard%2C+adding+final+touches.+Kojima+lends+him+a+hand.+
Serena Travers
Fifth graders Aiden Hwang and Akari Kojima design their very own turtle. Hwang carefully glues the bottle caps onto the cardboard, adding final touches. Kojima lends him a hand.

Upper elementary schoolers gathered in Ms. Lopez’s room (Room 201) to participate in the Bottle Cap Night event hosted by Greenpeace on March 14. The club managed to gather youngsters and turn small pieces of reusable plastic into art. They aimed to encourage children to up-cycle.

Nayoung Kim, president of Greenpeace, said, “Bottle Cap Night was an event to promote and educate kids about upcycling, which is reusing materials instead of throwing them away. We made art through the bottlecaps using reused cardboard.” Utilizing bottle caps and cardboard, elementary students not only promoted awareness of the environment but also flaunted their artistic creativity.

Later that night, participants enjoyed pizza and chicken provided by the host. Fifth grader Abhiram Veluvolu said, “Bottle Cap Night was very fun for me because I loved making the bottle caps and the chicken party.”

Members and participants fostered their appreciation for recycling and demonstrated teamwork. Children brought home cherished memories, eco-friendly art, and new insight into a green future for planet Earth.

Jessica Woo
Jessica Woo, Managing Editor
A eleven year veteran at DIS, Jessica Woo returns to the Flyover staff in her junior year. As an engaged student who loves to read and write, Jessica helps other students improve and always attempts to step up as a writer herself. Founder of the Jets Broadcasting Service, she communicates and delivers informative messages to the DIS community. As much as she adores writing, Jessica deems herself a baseball-holic and attempts to watch every game if possible. 

Serena Travers
Serena Travers, Writer
A rising senior, Serena Travers returns to continue her avid passion for journalism. This year, she aspires to share her thoughts, meet new people, and take the best of the best photos. She also plans to dabble in design to bring the yearbook to the next level as she leaves high school. She combines her love for psychology with her writing. Her excitement and dedication to the Flyover staff is evident by the fact that she takes two media classes at DIS.