ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Jets get the ball rolling against DMHS

Big field, clear sky, strong athletes: DIS collects “newbie-gains” under great conditions
Nayoung Kim
Striker Ethan Rossmeisl leaps above the 6 footer to win the header. His unrivaled vertical gives him the ability to out-jump opposing players.

The DIS high school boys’ soccer team checked into the Daegu military base on Apr. 2 for a friendly derby against Daegu Middle High School (DMHS). With only two weeks of official training, the squad walked onto the field with low confidence. A victory against the experienced opponent seemed out of reach. 

The absence of a large field on the Jets campus presents a big obstacle for the players to garner minutes on the pitch. The match served as a practice to test the boys’ abilities and adjust their footing in a live 11 vs 11 scenario. They took this chance to experiment with different line-ups and strategies. 

The game consisted of 30-minute halves. Both teams started with great intensity. As the fifth game of their season, DMHS played composed while the Jets slowly adapted to the field. April winds typically blow in heavy pollution from China in the east, but clear skies prevailed on game day. 

Center attacking midfielder Jayden Ahn strikes the ball off the volley. He dribbles past his first, second, and third defenders to take a shot. (Nayoung Kim)

Both the Warriors and the Jets created great opportunities, but the game ended 0:0. The two teams fought hard and ended the battle in a stalemate. 

The brief but effective preparation led to all the brilliant moves in action. The newly acquired access to the fitness center evidently helped the athletes. They recreated in-game fatigue and conditions through interval sprints on the treadmills. The training translated right into the game, and DIS did not fall behind. 

Center midfielder Aaron Shin uses his great field vision to send the free kick into the feet of his teammates. He dictates the pace of the game and controls the center. (Nayoung Kim)

“The gym helped a lot by enhancing everyone’s individual performances because core and abs are very important. And last year, we didn’t have much opportunity to strengthen that physical power individually. Due to the new implementation of the Fitness Center, we did a really good job enhancing one’s individual performance…The sprinting practices really helped. For me, it helped me with sudden acceleration, which is very important,” said Jayden Ahn, captain of the DIS soccer team.

Brian Hyun sends the goal kick all the way to the other half of the field. As the MOTM, he saved multiple close calls. (Nayoung Kim)

Additionally, Brian Hyun earned the “Man of the Match” (MOTM) title. The DMHS goalkeeper Vitale Tillman said, “I felt like it was an even and fun game, there were scoring opportunities for both teams and neither team had any bad mistakes. In my opinion, the best player on the DIS team was their goalkeeper because he saved two 1 on 1 shots from two of my players. I would love to play DIS again.”

The Jets return to the KISAC tournament in mid-April. They continue to refine their skills to make a deep playoff push.

Center-back Harrison Sung headbutts the ball to clear it from the DMHS attackers. He takes pride in leading the Jets’ backline. (Nayoung Kim)

“It was good. We were quite struggling, but not as much as we expected. I think we did a very good job defensively. Although we didn’t have experience in a big field, we had a very stable defensive four-back line. Because it’s such a hard thing to play four-back, I think we did a good job lining up the defensive line. Overall it was a very good experience, and it served as a peddlestone for the upcoming KISAC tournament…We did a really good job, but we have room for improvement,” Ahn said.

View Comments (2)
About the Contributors
Ethan Rossmeisl
Ethan Rossmeisl, Sports Editor
From Varsity Basketball star to a Model United Nations delegate, Ethan Rossmeisl committed himself as an active member of the DIS community for a decade. His love of athletics makes him a perfect fit for reporting DIS Sports as a new writer for the Jets Flyover. With his wide range of talents, Ethan dominates all grounds. His leadership positions as Chess club president and all-star medalist in KISAC have taught him invaluable lessons on dedication and he hopes to bring this determination and hard-working attitude to his writing.

Nayoung Kim
Nayoung Kim, Broadcast Journalist
Nayoung Kim, president of Greenpeace, Eco-lution, and Peer Tutoring Club, shares her vivid passion for the environment and contemporary issues to the ear of the school community. Her brand new, popular podcast raises awareness and acts as a call for help to aid the world to become a better place. Also a famous Jet Stream Host, her enthusiasm to engage with the DIS community and spread the news boosts the energy of the school. 

Comments (2)

All Jets Flyover Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• D

Daniel. KimMay 2, 2024 at 7:25 pm

The picture is very nice!

Reply
  • P

PyoMay 2, 2024 at 7:24 pm

I which I could see the game. And nice job jets at least you didn’t lose

Reply