ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Soccer season kicks off with an early start

High school futsalers adapt to regulation changes and compensate for weather delays

Student-athletes spring into action and mark the start of a new high school futsal season. Eager teammates gathered a month before the season officially began to clock in extra scrimmages and skill-work. With the implementation of friendly games against the local military base school and a transition from 5 to 7 players in the sports league, the Jets need more talent and experience on the field. Additionally, turbulent weather and a lack of practice space present barriers.

Freshman Victoria Kang passes to her teammate as she contemplates her next move. The gym scrimmage serves as a good replacement for turf play. (Leanne Yoon)

Season 3 brings changes for Jets athletics, along with the return of a few staples. Crosstown matchups against Daegu Middle High School (DMHS) commence in early April. DIS revisits Korean International Schools Activities Conference (KISAC) in the middle of the month, where the Jets must field 11 players on a larger turf. The Southern Korean Activities Conference (SKAC) transforms from 5v5 to 7v7. Marked in the DIS calendar as the ‘7s tournament’, the matches transpire in Busan in May.

Sophomores Annie Cho and Amy Shim gab with freshman Leewen Wang as they warm up before a practice game. The girls are forced indoors due to rainy conditions. (Leanne Yoon)

Unlike larger international schools on Jeju Island, Busan, and Sacheon, DIS lacks space for all teams to practice at the same time. Plans are in the works to relocate some of the squads to alternative fields for Monday and Friday prep work. “I would love it if we had a full-size field to play on and train on. However, not having that can be a disadvantage. But it’s also an advantage, because our team plays very well if congested. A tight, congested formation is very defensive and it’s a counter-attacking strategy,” Coach Purdy, head of the boys’ squad, said.

Sophomore Ali Karam jumps for joy as junior Harrison Sung celebrates Ali’s monster goal. The boys soak up the rain but they seem happy to escape indoor play for the last few minutes of practice. (Leanne Yoon)

“The futsal field is good for futsal but playing soccer on it, there’s just not enough space and you can’t play soccer. The girls and boys have to share space on top of the ECC and the bottom fields because we don’t have enough and when we do that, in the small area in the ECC, it is not enough. The schools in Jeju and ISB have really big fields that they can practice soccer on which gives them advantages when we play against them because we never get to play in that big of a field,” Maddox Jolly said, freshman member of the boys’ team.

The rainy spring weather and high levels of air pollution forced kids indoors multiple times, another wrench thrown in their plans. With the sky not in their favor, the squad turned to cross-training and took advantage of the new fitness center, determined to convert setbacks to success.

Junior Colin Ji benchpresses dumbbells in a full range of motion. The boys hit up the fitness center during part of their rain delay practice. (Leanne Yoon)

“The weather is very tricky. This is annoying, but we have to make the best of the space we have available. We focus more on strength movements and sports-specific cardio or core movements we should be working on anyway,” Purdy said.

Compared to spring 2023, new access to the fitness center provides further opportunities for growth in physical strength that eventually translates to the futsal field. “It [the fitness center] is a great addition for every sport to build a fitness base and be able to compete. Obviously, I appreciate it very much,” Mr. Faille, co-coach of the high school girls’ team, said.Now, on rainy days, instead of idle time, the Jets pump iron and rack up miles on the treadmill. 

Dedication for victory stands at an all-time high for the soccer squads. They look to reap the fruits of their labor at the KISAC and SKAC tournaments this season.

View Comments (2)
About the Contributors
Ethan Rossmeisl
Ethan Rossmeisl, Sports Editor
From Varsity Basketball star to a Model United Nations delegate, Ethan Rossmeisl committed himself as an active member of the DIS community for a decade. His love of athletics makes him a perfect fit for reporting DIS Sports as a new writer for the Jets Flyover. With his wide range of talents, Ethan dominates all grounds. His leadership positions as Chess club president and all-star medalist in KISAC have taught him invaluable lessons on dedication and he hopes to bring this determination and hard-working attitude to his writing.

Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication.