• [K-12] NJHS Women's Health Access Dress Down Day on May 29th.
  • SKAC HS Soccer 7's @ISB on May 23rd.
  • SKAC MS Basketball Finals @ISB/BFS on May 22nd.
  • KISAC MS Girls Basketball Tournament @DIS on May 17th-18th.
  • KISAC MS Boys Basketball Tournament @KISJ on May 16th-18th.

• SKAC HS Soccer 7's @ISB on May 23rd.

Jets score first goal since last season at KISAC

DIS boys’ soccer faces setbacks from pollution and field size
Dylan Wang
Maddox Jolly and Ali Karam stretch thoroughly before the impending game. Since the boys battled for two whole days, stretching proved to be essential.

The Jets high school boys’ soccer team flew to Jeju for a two-day KISAC tournament on Apr. 16. Tension and pollution filled the air as the novice squad prepared to battle against the all-mighty Jeju schools. Nerves did not prevent them from powerful performances – they battled with grit through all the match-ups.

Varsity played three robin-round games on the first day of the tourney. The gap in experience between Jeju and Daegu appeared indomitable. The Island teams, with months of experience on the big pitch, intimidated the Jets, with the only one practice of 11 vs 11 at DMHS-friendly, just two weeks prior.

“Obviously, we didn’t have that many wins. Playing in a big field was an entirely new experience compared to the practice environment we were in and a lot of players from Jeju and FPS were really good. I think our team needed a lot more training, but I was still proud of us for keeping up with bigger schools with better practice facilities,” said Colin Ji, striker/center-back.

Regardless of the setbacks, they fought through with their advantage: energy. Despite entering the competition with the bare minimum number of subs, DIS hounded the opponents with sole intensity. The interval training earlier in the season paid off as it gave them an edge over others.

“I think that (the interval training) was the change from last season, and it did help with stamina and being physical,” said Robert Cho, winger/midfielder.

Scoring two goals, the boys ended their first day with a record of 1 win and 2 losses, which means they fell short of the winners’ bracket. Nevertheless, they soldiered through. Their disappointment fueled them to play with greater enthusiasm in the losers’ league.

The varsity squad takes a breather after their tough match. They relax and eat a lot of bananas to stop cramps. (Dylan Wang)

The second day began with a problematic kick-off. The air quality index (AQI) indicated “extremely unhealthy” at about 300 degrees AQI, and the athletic board nearly terminated the entire tournament. Fortunately, the poor air quality only resulted in a short delay, and soon enough the tournament proceeded. Previously this season, pollution kept the boys indoors so this scenario felt familiar.

Athletes suffered from pollution during day two of KISAC. The terrible air quality almost led to the termination of the tournament. (Dylan Wang)

Two more matches awaited them to determine the final seeding. Although they spared no effort, they finished at the bottom: one loss, one draw.

In the end, junior Aaron Shin earned the KISAC all-tournament medal as the sole representative of the Jets. “I felt proud when I got the all-star medal. It was definitely a boost of motivation to perform better at the SKAC tournament,” said Aaron, midfielder. Now, with all the knowledge attained through KISAC, they keep the ball rolling for the SKAC 7s finals in Busan on May 23rd.

Ethan Rossmeisl
Ethan Rossmeisl, Sports Editor
From Varsity Basketball star to a Model United Nations delegate, Ethan Rossmeisl committed himself as an active member of the DIS community for a decade. His love of athletics makes him a perfect fit for reporting DIS Sports as a new writer for the Jets Flyover. With his wide range of talents, Ethan dominates all grounds. His leadership positions as Chess club president and all-star medalist in KISAC have taught him invaluable lessons on dedication and he hopes to bring this determination and hard-working attitude to his writing.

Dylan Wang
Dylan Wang, Managing Editor
Dylan Wang declares himself as a Renaissance man. His interests vary from music to sports, and he participates in varieties of extracurricular activities such as Rock Band, MUN, and Student Council. For this reason, he writes in many different styles about many different topics, from features to opinion pieces. Through this process, he attained several useful strategies and tips, and now he helps others learn to write like a pro. As Managing Editor of the Jets Flyover, Dylan hopes to help new staff writers grow as he ends his DIS journey.