What’s the best dish you’ve ever prepared?

Olivia Park

Cooking gifts you a celebration of rich flavors, culinary techniques, and timeless memories. From traditional family dishes to trendy internet recipes with a personal twist, we uncovered your gastronomical expertise: “What’s the best dish you’ve ever prepared?”

A sunny-side-up crowns a bed of kimchi fried rice filled with fiery flavor and home-style comfort. Hailey, a fledgling chef, cooked a medley of tangy kimchi and ham flavors spontaneously due to her parents sudden absence, bringing warmth and cultural flair to every forkful.
A sunny-side-up crowns a bed of kimchi fried rice filled with fiery flavor and home-style comfort. Hailey, a fledgling chef, cooked a medley of tangy kimchi and ham flavors spontaneously due to her parent’s sudden absence, bringing warmth and cultural flair to every forkful. (Jayden Ahn)
Hailey Tzou, Grade 11: Kimchi Fried Rice

The best thing I’ve ever made was kimchi fried rice (김치볶음밥). I cooked this dish because my parents were busy and I was hungry. I first started by searching ‘Baek Jong Won’s(Famous Korean Chef) kimchi fried rice recipe’, and then I followed the exact steps that he demonstrated. I included kimchi, rice, sugar, sesame oil, spam, and spring onion. I think it was delicious, but my older and younger sisters told me that the fried Kimchi rice was too sweet.

Keren baked a chocolate cupcake with her baking club crew. As a final touch, she added white frosting and her special combination of multicolored sprinkles.
Keren baked a chocolate cupcake with her baking club crew. As a final touch, she added white frosting and her special combination of multicolored sprinkles. (Jayden Ahn)
Keren Yin, Grade 2: Cupcakes

The best dish I’ve ever made was the cupcake I made today. Our team [Baking Club] made cupcakes today, and I liked them because they had many decorations like chocolates and sprinkles.  

Mr. Zhao roasts a whole chicken to a perfect golden brown in an oven, showcasing the simplicity and joy of cooking with his Chinese Cooking Club.
Mr. Zhao roasts a whole chicken to a perfect golden brown in an oven, showcasing the simplicity and joy of cooking with his Chinese Cooking Club. (Jayden Ahn)
Mr. Zhao, Secondary Chinese Teacher: Roasted Chicken

I think it’s the roast chicken that I made last school year with my students. I bought a raw chicken from the supermarket, searched for a roast chicken recipe online, and followed the recipe. I don’t think this dish has a particular name, but in Chinese, we call it kǎo jī (), which means roasted chicken. We shared the dish together, and everyone told me the dish tasted good.

A pot of Ramen comes to a gentle boil, stemming from Josh’s special recipe. The ramen embodies the essence of minimalism, delivering a soulful dish in just a few minutes from the dorm kitchen.
A pot of Ramen comes to a gentle boil, stemming from Josh’s special recipe. The ramen embodies the essence of minimalism, delivering a soulful dish in just a few minutes from the dorm kitchen. (Jayden Ahn)
Josh Lee, Grade 6: Shin Ramen

The best food I’ve ever made was Shin Ramen, which is a very spicy kind of ramen. I cooked this in the dorm kitchen. I followed the recipe that was written in the package. I started off by pouring two full cups of water (500mL) into the pot. I then boiled the water, put the noodles and sauce into the pot, cooked it for 3 minutes, and occasionally stirred it. Finally, I transferred it to a bowl and put some spring onion on top of it. I ate it by myself, but since it was the first time I’ve ever cooked ramen for myself, I think the ramen had lots of room for improvement. 

Confident and proud, Pyo presents a homemade omelet wrapped in a warm tortilla, a fusion of flavors crafted with youthful enthusiasm and a sprinkle of kitchen magic. His sincere thumbs-up tells everything.
Confident and proud, Pyo presents a homemade omelet wrapped in a warm tortilla, a fusion of flavors crafted with youthful enthusiasm and a sprinkle of kitchen magic. His sincere thumbs-up tells everything. (Jayden Ahn)
Pyo Hong, Grade 6: Omelet with Tortilla

The best dish I’ve ever made was an omelet with tortilla. We first cracked the egg and mixed it in a bowl. Then, we heated the pan up, cooked the egg for a few seconds, and added my favorite combinations of vegetables. Next, we put a tortilla that fits the size of our pan on top of the cooked egg and vegetable, cooked it for another few seconds, flipped it, and wrapped it with the tortilla. 

The glistening rack of ribs is placed in a smoker. Dedicated pitmaster Colin Ji harnesses the art of slow cooking, promising an explosion of flavor, expertly smoked to perfection.
Colin Ji Grade 11: Beef Short Ribs

I would have to say the beef short ribs. I made these beef ribs at the glamping place that I went to. I researched the recipe called ‘The Meat Place’ and got the perfect cut for the short ribs. I then seasoned it and smoked it in a kettle barbeque for 13 hours. The ribs tasted phenomenal.

Chef it up, Jets. Each culinary artist brings something special to the table. They not only share delicious dishes but also the unique experience entangled within the preparation. Do you have any awesome recipes you want to share? Feel free to let us know in the comments.

Jayden Ahn
Jayden Ahn, Writer
Jayden Ahn, current Grade 11 representative and Chess Club president, joins the Jets Flyover community as the new kid on the block with an unparalleled passion for storytelling. His communication skills, combined with the valuable lessons gleaned from diverse sports activities, empower him to craft captivating articles and polls that ignite conversations. With Jayden's dynamic and creative contributions, the Jets Flyover community gains a dedicated force for high-quality content.
Olivia Park
Olivia Park, Illustrator
Olivia Park, a sixth grader at DIS, rises up to middle school with a passion for digital design. This year, she hopes to design inspiring and entertaining graphics for the Flyover and craft a portfolio to become a professional designer for a company some day. In her free time, she crochets and binge-watches her favorite TV show, “Alexa and Katie.”