What are your thoughts about 제사/Jaesa (Korean traditional memorial ceremony)?

Graphic by Sally Yun and Olivia Park.

Jaesa, a time-honored family ceremony in Korea, serves as a heartfelt tribute to ancestors and past loved ones. While 40% of Koreans still embrace this deeply cherished tradition, its elaborate preparations can be perceived as burdensome in today’s fast-paced world. So, we checked in with our DIS community for their takes on this ancestral custom. 

It seems that the DIS community seems to hold a multifaceted per

Jennie Kim, Grade 4:

My thinking is that I don’t really like it because we usually do Jaesa when people die, so I don’t really like it. 

Andy Kang, Grade 10:

Our family doesn’t do Jaesa, but when I see my peers doing Jaesa, I think that it is inefficient and a waste of time to honor the dead. But I get that there is a meaning behind it of why people in Korea do it so I respect it. But I still believe it is a waste of time.

Alice Kim, Grade 5:

I like Jaesa because when we do Jaesa, there is lots of delicious food, and all of my family meet together during the ceremony.

Bryan Lee, Grade 9:

I find it fascinating that we, at our current time, have a way of paying respect to our ancestors and our loved ones. During Jaesa, we also have time to reunite with families and friends all around the world. It is also cool that we meet up, have a good meal, and share a good time.

Alex Hyun, Grade 6:

I find Jaesa boring, but I still must participate in Jaesa because my parents force me to. I think we should focus on real life rather than commemorating the past.

Robert Cho, Grade 10

My family doesn’t do Jaesa, but I’ve seen a lot of friends and even my cousins do Jaesa. I personally believe it is a good way to remember the ones who have already passed away, and I think it is a good tradition to keep. But, I do suspect its actual meaning and the supernatural belief behind the tradition itself because the dead don’t technically come to eat the food provided in Jaesa.

Josh Lee, Grade 6:

I kind of like it because there is lots of good food. However, there are lots of things to do, such as setting up the food and dishes. I find it a bit overwhelming.

Jay Jang, Grade 5:

I mean, I respect Jaesa because it is a religious tradition of serving the dead and our ancestors. I like it because I think it shows respect for our dead ancestors.

Mr. Gall, MS math and computer science teacher:

I think it is important to keep traditions from the past that have been passed down. I also think it is very important to recognize and pay respect to our family and those who have passed away with various celebrations throughout the year. 

It seems that the DIS community holds a multifaceted perspective on Jaesa. While some see this tradition as a vital link to the past and a meaningful way to keep familial bonds alive, others view it through a modern lens and question its relevance and adaptability in today’s world. What are your thoughts on this tradition? Feel free to comment with your opinion about the Korean Memorial ceremony, and stay tuned for another poll.

Jayden Ahn
Jayden Ahn, Writer
Jayden Ahn, current Grade 11 representative and Chess Club president, joins the Jets Flyover community as the new kid on the block with an unparalleled passion for storytelling. His communication skills, combined with the valuable lessons gleaned from diverse sports activities, empower him to craft captivating articles and polls that ignite conversations. With Jayden's dynamic and creative contributions, the Jets Flyover community gains a dedicated force for high-quality content.
Sally Yun
Sally Yun, Illustrator
Eighth-grader Sally Yun joins the Jets Flyover as a new illustrator. She brings big artistic talent to the newsroom. Sally loves to doodle on her iPad in her spare time. Her favorite sport, soccer, fills her sunny days at recess. Sally hopes to lure more eyes to Flyover articles through her innovative illustrations. Keep your eyes peeled, she might dabble with comics and interactive games in the near future.