Comprehensive Guide for Cash-Strapped Students

Earn a side hustle with these three tips
Tiffany Lee
Unlike in our childish dreams, we often lack pocket money to go out with friends or buy or favorite snacks. So, how do we take matters into our own hands?

I opened up my wallet, ready to pay for my snacks, just to realize that I used up all my allowance the day before. Ashamed, I left the food behind and walked out of the store, head hung low. 

Have you ever experienced embarrassment like this? Do you constantly need more dough? Koreans label middle and high school students as far too young for traditional jobs, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Our minds constantly drift to ways to earn pocket money. I present to you some creative endeavors for us kids to fund our hobbies and habits.

Babysit

Parents often look for qualified and responsible babysitters to care for their children while they work during the day. If you’re responsible, organized, and good with kids, check out this part-time stint. 

I remember when I babysat a 7-year-old girl. I made sure to wear comfortable clothing and avoid hanging accessories. Also, keep your composure. Know that the job might get frustrating. Children’s moods tend to change pretty quickly. So if they seem bored in a particular activity, ask them what they want to do. 

Culturally, teenagers don’t often babysit in Korea. Family members like aunts or grandmas generally look after children. But foreign teachers at DIS come from places that embrace teen babysitters. So ask families like the Kaschubs or Camerons if you can watch their kids for a night while they catch a romantic getaway downtown. 

Sell Do It Yourself (DIY) products and second-hand items 

I often put items I don’t use anymore up for grabs online. If you find old items you no longer use that still look new and function decently, sell it on the internet. Consider Carrot Market (당근마켓) or Jung-go-nara (중고나라) for this purpose. A lot of people use these online platforms, so you might find someone who wants to buy your product.

Another option: If you love arts and crafts, put your work up for sale online for a decent amount of dough. Go for Carrot Market for a first-time try. Make sure to prepare them in good condition. 

Also, if you want to turn your crafts business into a regular gig, create a website to advertise your DIY products. First, find your niche and narrow down your style. Next, build an appealing website to attract clients. Then, build the products with your own unique style. Photograph all your items and make sure to manage your inventory. 

Conversely, you can also give offline platforms a go. Look for flea markets around your neighborhood for a good chance to show off your crafts and earn money.

Around campus, go ahead and ask teachers like Ms. Bielec and Mr. Jolly if they can give you some space in the Snack Shack so you can sell your products to the Jets during lunch recess. Who knows? Even teachers might show interest! 

Dog Walker

Volunteer to walk dogs around your neighborhood. Help dog owners take some time off from walking their dogs everyday. You can also pet-sit other fine animals such as guinea pigs, fish, and turtles. 

People often worry about trips to foreign countries because they can’t leave their pets alone. If you know of a similar situation, ask to feed and take care of them while the owner travels in exchange for a little cash. 

Why not offer DIS teachers, such as Mr. Hutchings and Mr. Gum, to walk their dogs? Maybe Mr. Coleman or Mr. Bergan will request that you take care of their cats the next time they travel. 

Follow these tips and you’ll stuff your pockets with snack money in a blink of an eye. It’s your turn to get out there and earn your own cash. If you find yourself in a time crunch, I highly recommend tip number two. I sold art online a few years ago and made a decent profit. Give these ideas a shot, and let me know how it goes in the comments.

Jules Youn
Jules Youn, Writer
7th grader Jules Youn decided to challenge herself and join the Jets Flyover team. She spreads  joy when she shares tidbits about her passions. As a creative risk taker, Jules entertains the DIS student body as a lead performer in the Drama Club. She endeavors to craft a diverse spectrum of literary genres and deliver her enthusiasm to the DIS community.
Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication. 

Catherine Park
Catherine Park, Editor in Chief
Cath loves writing stories and making art. Luckily, God gifted her a talented left hand. As the vice president of the National Arts Honor Society, she can be seen drawing around campus. Cath explores many different genres of books, music, movies, and activities, and is willing to explore more about them throughout her experience as the editor-in-chief. All she needs is paper, a pencil, an eraser, and her dog, Russell. Cath writes, illustrates comics, edits articles, and manages the Jets Flyover.
Tiffany Lee
Tiffany Lee, Photographer / Designer
Tiffany, an avid illustrator and photographer, returns to journalism for her second year of designing the yearbook. In college, she plans to pursue a major in the STEM field. In her free time, she binge-watches Netflix series and spends quality time with her loved ones. As the president of the Illusion Dance Team, Tiffany leads the squad to perform for the Jets. She hopes to bring this cheer to the Jets Flyover as well.