• [K-12] NJHS Women's Health Access Dress Down Day on May 23rd.
  • SKAC HS Soccer 7's @ISB on May 23rd.
  • SKAC MS Basketball Finals @ISB/BFS on May 22nd.
  • KISAC MS Girls Basketball Tournament @DIS on May 17th-18th.
  • KISAC MS Boys Basketball Tournament @KISJ on May 16th-18th.
  • Buddha's Birthday on May 15th.

• SKAC HS Soccer 7's @ISB on May 23rd.
  • Buddha's Birthday on May 15th.

Student Council swings for the fences but the Lions strike out

High schoolers have a ball at the ballpark as Samsung suffers another loss
Tommy+Jang+in+11th+grade+attempts+to+catch+the+foul+ball+launched+by+a+batter+with+his+glove%2C+but+fails+to+do+so.+Spectators+in+baseball+stadiums+are+allowed+to+catch+and+keep+the+ball+that+are+flown+to+them+during+games.+
Dylan Wang
Tommy Jang in 11th grade attempts to catch the foul ball launched by a batter with his glove, but fails to do so. Spectators in baseball stadiums are allowed to catch and keep the ball that are flown to them during games.

Baseball season sprung into full swing at the Lions Park this spring. High school supporters went down together for the Samsung Lions vs. Kiwoom Heroes game on April 4. Hosted by the High School Student Council (HSSC), the event brought baseball fans of all kinds from seniors to freshmen gathered all together after school to strike away academic stress and worries. 

“We tried to book the baseball game as early as possible within the season. April 4th was one of the first dates on which they accepted group reservations, so we made it then. We also wanted to make the pricing free, so we chose the sky seats. They had a great view and were relatively cheap,” said Tommy Jang, vice president of the HSSC. 

Avid Lions fans junior Tommy Jang and senior Bolt Yi shake their merch and sport their uniforms in support of the team until the very last. Their fervor sparks hope in the Lions. (Lewis Kim)
Sophomores Chloe Cho and Christine Mason enjoy their tteokbokki in the middle of games. Tasty snacks are the cream of the crop. (Dylan Wang)

Out of the crowd, passionate fans of the Lions even brought along merch to demonstrate their support. “I passionately support Samsung, so I cheered really hard for the team. This event was great not only because we got to watch the game, but also because we went as a community. I think this trip gave us an opportunity to foster our friendship and form a sense of group compassion,” said Brian Hyun, a sophomore. 

Sophomore Ali Karam, dressed in Lions merch, cheers the players on as the Lions hit a successful bat. He shouts at the top of his lungs as the player runs up to first base. (Dylan Wang)

Students who were part of the DIS-Asian American International Academy (AAIA) Student Exchange Program also joined for an experience in Korean baseball culture.

Juniors Hailey Tzou passionately supports the Lions with her cheering sticks while Flora Chung holds up a hilarious sign that reads: I will study for my exam when Samsung is losing. The Lions lost badly by 10:1 that day so perhaps Chung got a lot of study time. (Lewis Kim)

I loved everything about this mini field trip. Not only was it the first baseball game I’d ever been to, but it was also my very first professional game I got to experience. I’m so glad I got the chance to spend it with all of my friends in Korea. I took a bunch of photos on my camera to save these moments. If I ever get the chance to experience this again though, remind me to bring a puffer,” said freshman Peyton Tsai, an exchange student. 

Peyton Tsai from AAIA came to DIS for a weeklong exchange program. Perfect timing – she tagged along with other DIS freshman to watch live professional baseball. (Dylan Wang)
Mr. Hutchings roars as the Lions defend their points successfully and catch the flyball to end the inning without any points given to the Heroes. The intense inning left everyone sitting on the edge of their seats. (Dylan Wang)

Although the Lions lost in a landslide of 10:1 against the Heroes, the Jets won a key memory of their high school years. “It was fun that we got to go as a school, but the Lions lost really badly, so it was an interesting experience. I hope everyone had fun,” said Jang.

Justin Son in ninth grade furrows his brows in anguish as Kiwoom defenders perform a double play against the home team. This final blow led to Samsung recieving their final out – losing their chance for a redemption. (Lewis Kim)
Sophomores cheer along as the 4th batter of Samsung Lions gets ready to bat. Fans sing along the songs that are specialized to each player to show their fierce support. (Dylan Wang)

The event helped unite the group as a whole and support their favorite athletic teams, and students hope to visit the stadium for future opportunities. 

10
Andrew Shim
Andrew Shim, Writer
Now a senior, Andrew begins his second year with the Jets Flyover. Eager to write about the latest news and sports, Andrew takes his passion to the next level in the multimedia program. In his leisure time, he often finds himself lost in the wonders of science. Aside from his interest in journalism, Andrew hopes to improve his photography skills in order to capture every moment of his last year in DIS.

Dylan Wang
Dylan Wang, Managing Editor
Dylan Wang declares himself as a Renaissance man. His interests vary from music to sports, and he participates in varieties of extracurricular activities such as Rock Band, MUN, and Student Council. For this reason, he writes in many different styles about many different topics, from features to opinion pieces. Through this process, he attained several useful strategies and tips, and now he helps others learn to write like a pro. As Managing Editor of the Jets Flyover, Dylan hopes to help new staff writers grow as he ends his DIS journey.
Lewis Kim
Lewis Kim, Photographer and Photo Editor
Lewis Hanseo Kim, a junior at DIS, reigns supreme as a passionate photographer, videographer, and scientist. His enthusiasm for photography motivated him to start the Yang-ro Won Picture Service Club, and his profound interest in science led him to conduct multiple studies, which earned him honorable recognition. From meticulous research and innovative engineering to creative photography, he always attempts unique endeavors that set him apart from his peers. From superhero motion graphics to award winning historical documentaries, his imagination knows no bounds. With his creative mind and top tier photography, Lewis hopes to bring the Jets Flyover to the next level. 

• S

SolaMay 6, 2024 at 8:40 am

LUCKYYYY

• S

Sean kimMay 2, 2024 at 7:32 pm

Man I wish I could go!!!

• M

MinjuMay 2, 2024 at 7:31 pm

I wish I could be there too! I can’t wait to be a high schooler.

• M

MatthewMay 2, 2024 at 7:28 pm

I wish I can go Lions baseball game with my friends in the future.

• N

Nadia WooMay 2, 2024 at 7:27 pm

good photos! ^-^

• V

VoltMay 2, 2024 at 7:27 pm

The High schoolers would have got a very fun experience except that the Samsung Lions lost big, I wish I could go there when I become high schoolers.

• O

OliviaMay 2, 2024 at 7:26 pm

wow!! The basketball game looks so fun and interesting!

• M

Min kimMay 2, 2024 at 7:25 pm

I hope it was a fun trip to the baseball game. Samsung lost but I wish the high schoolers still had a good time there.

• E

ElinMay 2, 2024 at 7:23 pm

Wow it looks so fun! I also want to participate in the future.

• P

PyoMay 2, 2024 at 7:21 pm

I wish I was old enough to go to the baseball game.