ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • [K-12] NJHS Women's Health Access Dress Down Day on May 29th.
  • SKAC HS Soccer 7's @ISB on May 23rd.
  • SKAC MS Basketball Finals @ISB/BFS on May 22nd.
  • KISAC MS Girls Basketball Tournament @DIS on May 17th-18th.
  • KISAC MS Boys Basketball Tournament @KISJ on May 16th-18th.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC HS Soccer 7's @ISB on May 23rd.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Expansion of medical admissions quota in South Korea: doctors’ perspective

Professionals in the field take on the latest headline controversy
Sally Yun
The health-care workforce protests with passion in response to the newly announced transformation. “Unprepared increase of the medical admissions quota leads to the downfall of medical education.”

As a part of the national healthcare system reform, the Korean government plans to increase the medical school admission quota starting in 2025 — an additional 1500 compared to previous years. Established in response to a perceived shortage of doctors, they aspire to expand the health-related workforce to 10,000 by 2035.

This change instigated tensions among government officials, doctors, and medical students. Most practitioners firmly believe that the modification will demean the quality of medical education and inefficiently overload the concentration of doctors in Seoul. 

Since the announcement of the policy in early 2024, medical practitioners and prospective doctors alike have protested against the government’s decision. Some even stepped down from their coveted position as medical school students or doctors. As the conflict between the doctors and the government escalated, university hospitals around Korea resorted to shutting down once a week. Despite this opposition, the government remains resolute.

Dr. K, a private urologist from Daegu, emphasizes his opposition to the government’s unilateral decision and stresses the impracticality of the solution. “Because the current medical education system, unlike other majors, requires face-to-face application-based classes, a suitable environment for such is the priority. Thus, with the increase of medical students, the quality of education will inevitably fall, considering the projected overload of students in the field. The drastic increase in the student number will most certainly lead to an increase of inexperienced doctors,” Dr. K said.

In agreement, otorhinolaryngologist Dr. C highlighted the logical fallacy of the cart before the horse. “The government should reform the medical education system first to make it more compatible with a larger student body before increasing the admissions quota,” he said.

“Instead of actually solving the problem, I think that the government is pouring water into a bottomless pit. Alternatively, shouldn’t we try to figure out why the pit is bottomless?,” Dr. K added.

(Christine Park)

Dr. C asserted that the government neglects the root of the shortage issue. An imbalance of medical doctors in certain fields currently plagues Korea with the inability to treat patients with specific symptoms. Numerous scholars identify the major problem as the profit difference in various specialties. The next generation tends to avoid unprofitable and tedious jobs which floods some departments but dries out others. For example, specialties such as plastic surgery flourish while pediatrics, though critical for public health, dwindles.

Dr. K said, “I think that they could enforce policies that guarantee income for the particular crucial departments that are less popular. If we simply increase the number of doctors, the departments that medical students stay away from will continue to be avoided, and subsequently, cases of severe diseases will continue to be transferred to Seoul and fail to resolve the lack of doctors in rural areas.” 

Dr. C also pointed out the difference in population density between urban and rural areas. Minor cities lack a health-care workforce whereas professionals tightly pack up the capital. He elaborates that numerous civilians in rural areas find the need to travel to Seoul to receive adequate treatment for severe illnesses. The lack of incentives and resources for other cities decreases both quality and quantity. 

Physicians in rural areas also complain about the lack of exposure to diverse diseases which hampers a consistent growth of skill and experience. Dr. C said, “With the vast majority of patients traveling to Seoul for treatment, there are meager opportunities in rural areas for doctors to handle diverse medicinal cases.”

As the heated debate grows exponentially, new opinions arise as they challenge the government, ethics, and personal beliefs. With a determined outlook, Dr. K said, “Let’s solve this problem with better support for research nationwide instead of exhausting our resources and efforts to realize a fruitless plan.”

View Comments (2)
About the Contributors
Apple Jun
Apple Jun, Writer
Apple, a sophomore and avid writer, returns for her second year on the Jets Flyover staff. Determined to immerse herself in all aspects of the DIS community, she participates in an array of lunch clubs and ASAs including MUN, SKAC sports, and Jets Flyover. In her leisure time, she loves to read or listen to music. You can often find her tucked away in a corner with a good show or under the covers with her nose buried in her all-time favorite novel – Pride and Prejudice. 
Sally Yun
Sally Yun, Illustrator
Eighth-grader Sally Yun joins the Jets Flyover as a new illustrator. She brings big artistic talent to the newsroom. Sally loves to doodle on her iPad in her spare time. Her favorite sport, soccer, fills her sunny days at recess. Sally hopes to lure more eyes to Flyover articles through her innovative illustrations. Keep your eyes peeled, she might dabble with comics and interactive games in the near future.
Christine Park
Christine Park, Illustrator
After years of persuasion from her peers that sparked intrinsic motivation, Christine Park finally enters Journalism as a senior. Chris’s greatest passion revolves around the field of art and anime. Her role as the president of the National Art Honors Society and Visual Arts Club proves the enthusiasm she bears for artistry. As the new illustrator for the Jets Flyover, Chris is eager to dive into journalism and share her artwork and comics with a wider audience.