ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

DIS Sports program implements tryouts

Jets’ First Step towards the SKAC & KISAC Dynasty

The new volleyball season commenced as 36 girls and 24 boys battled for a spot on the varsity teams. Recent SKAC championships and the success of the Japanese animation ‘Haikyuu’ fueled the popularity of the sport, encouraging more individuals to challenge themselves. Strangely, though, fewer students signed up for the squad this year compared to previous years — it seems that the stigma of failure, admission requirements, and rivalry among friends secretly played a role in this decrease in members.

For the past few years, countless numbers of students flooded the DIS sports squads. “Last year, we had 37 girls on the volleyball team. It’s too many people for one court all at the same time. Even though there were two coaches, I feel like there are such varying levels,” girls’ volleyball coach Mrs. Jolly said.

The girls focus on Mr. Balint’s every move as he demonstrates a proper spike. (Jerome Kwon

The idea of tryouts isn’t new, but its implementation this year is. Coach Balint said, “I think the idea was already around. But because the girls’ team last year was especially big, the Jets Flyover ran an article that pointed out that a lot of kids were joining sports teams just to put something on their resume or just because their friends were doing it.” 

Christine Mason perfects her setting form with the help of Mr. Balint. (Jerome Kwon

The tryouts took place in the gym. For three days, student-athletes went all out to earn a place on the team. After the coaches assessed the aptitude of each participant, they decided whether a player made it or got cut. If too many students apply, future teams look to implement the same method to level up the DIS sports system.

Dylan Wang, a senior, anticipates the trajectory of the ball to prepare a clean set. (Jerome Kwon

However, the number of students who tried out for volleyball this year raises questions: fewer players than predicted showed up. Behind these absences exists an apparent problem: the fear of getting cut. Unlike last year, students can not represent DIS in tournaments if they underperformed in the auditions. 

The histogram shows the drop in the number of athletes this year compared to last year. (Christine Park

“First of all, I am not really passionate about volleyball. Second, the tryout kind of repelled me from trying volleyball. I was kind of discouraged because I’m not really good at volleyball compared to other players. It kinda stopped me from doing the tryouts because I thought I was not going to make the team,” an anonymous student (who requested to keep their name concealed for privacy) said.

Mr. Bergan leads the practice after he calls the play. Justin Son is on the ground after a miraculous save. (Jerome Kwon

Although this new system intimidated some students, several individuals voiced positive expectations. Mrs. Jolly said, “I think that we are going to get more serious and more dedicated. That is what we need if we are actually going to be competitive in SKAC and KISAC (Korean International Schools Activities Conference), and maybe in the future we will join other leagues. Other ASAs are also selective, and if we want to make our sports program elite, we have to make cuts. I hate to tell kids that they can’t do something that they really like, but I think it’s going to make our team stronger.”  

Mrs. Jolly introduces intricate strategies and plays. (Jerome Kwon

At the end of the day, only 22 boys and 22 girls remained on the court. In regard to the results, sophomore Robert Cho said, “At first, I was really upset about it, but after some time, I realized that I just have to admit it and try again next year. I have other options. Volleyball isn’t my only option.” A star futsal player, Cho understands which sports he excels at and which he needs more practice on.

Members of the new squad hustle with a hunger to play. With the addition of renewed volleyball gear and an innovated gym, the DIS community can look forward to the 23-24 season and future matches with Daegu Middle High School. 

View Comments (2)
About the Contributors
Ethan Rossmeisl
Ethan Rossmeisl, Sports Editor
From Varsity Basketball star to a Model United Nations delegate, Ethan Rossmeisl committed himself as an active member of the DIS community for a decade. His love of athletics makes him a perfect fit for reporting DIS Sports as a new writer for the Jets Flyover. With his wide range of talents, Ethan dominates all grounds. His leadership positions as Chess club president and all-star medalist in KISAC have taught him invaluable lessons on dedication and he hopes to bring this determination and hard-working attitude to his writing.

Jessica Woo
Jessica Woo, Managing Editor
A eleven year veteran at DIS, Jessica Woo returns to the Flyover staff in her junior year. As an engaged student who loves to read and write, Jessica helps other students improve and always attempts to step up as a writer herself. Founder of the Jets Broadcasting Service, she communicates and delivers informative messages to the DIS community. As much as she adores writing, Jessica deems herself a baseball-holic and attempts to watch every game if possible. 

Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Catherine Park
Catherine Park, Editor in Chief
Cath loves writing stories and making art. Luckily, God gifted her a talented left hand. As the vice president of the National Arts Honor Society, she can be seen drawing around campus. Cath explores many different genres of books, music, movies, and activities, and is willing to explore more about them throughout her experience as the editor-in-chief. All she needs is paper, a pencil, an eraser, and her dog, Russell. Cath writes, illustrates comics, edits articles, and manages the Jets Flyover.
Jerome Kwon
Jerome Kwon, Writer
Jerome Kwon makes a comeback to the Jets Flyover staff after a one-year hiatus. With his heart on his sleeve, Jerome desires to write inspiring, thought-provoking, and critical articles for the students of DIS. Jerome greatly admires Mr. Lipsky and hopes to learn from him. He has a profound interest in the current geopolitical issues that affect the globe, especially Korea. He aims to become a riveting columnist and provide the latest investigative journalism for the people.