ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

DIS historians enter US frontiers

NHD participants learn valuable lessons in College Park
Jets marched through the gym as NHD introduced participants from Korea. Photo by Ms. Katie Kim.

With global travel rules back to pre-pandemic normal, the first live National History Day contest since COVID took place at the University of Maryland, College Park, during the final week of the 22-23 school year. Twelve middle and high school students from DIS joined to partake in the international competition and interact with individuals from all over the world. This year’s theme, Frontiers in History, challenged DIS classmates to above and beyond. 

Jio Kim swings her flag in fervent representation of South Korea. Photo courtesy of Ms. Katie Kim.

Before leaving for Maryland, participants of the event first competed for second place or above in Seoul against students from other Korean international schools. Students who met the criteria held the key to an open door into the world of historical research accolades abroad.

“It was great to participate in the NHD competition again. It was my first time to be at University of Maryland at College Park, which is right outside of Washington D.C. I enjoyed meeting lots of students and teachers who were passionate about history. A lot of our students had lots of fun, as for many of them, it was their first time to be in the US,” said Mr. Kaschub, the advisor. 

Mr. Kaschub cheers up the team before students present their projects. Photo courtesy of Ms. Katie Kim.

Ms. Katie Kim, DIS marketing director and the other chaperone, said, “It was a meaningful and productive event for the group of twelve students that went there. Even though we did not get the best results that we expected to have, going to the U.S and participating in a large competition means a lot for our students, and students also got to experience the culture in the D.C.”

Mr. Kaschub goes for a walk at the University of Maryland with Chris and Nayoung. Photo courtesy of Ms. Katie Kim.

Students spent countless hours to produce projects that focused on various people, places, and eras. “My project was about Kim Jung Ho, who was a Korean cartographer. I explained how he overcame the interference from the government to create the map of Korea,” said sophomore Chris Ryu. 

Participants from all countries fill the room with flags of vibrant colors. Photo by courtesy of Katie Kim.

However, the event was not favorable in every aspect. “I completed a project about anesthesia and its impact on history. I don’t think our group spent the most time possible on the project, but we still spent a lot of time on it and worked really hard, but we couldn’t win any awards, so we were a bit disappointed. But I think it was a great experience overall,” said freshman Shannon Moore.  

“I think we didn’t receive the award because our research could’ve been better, and we didn’t have any interviews. If we see other students, all of them had a high quality interview and strong research, so if we spend more time on research and get interviews for next year, I think we can get successful results,” Moore said. Regardless of awards or a lack thereof, the event provided a great experience for participants to conduct profound research on history, although the end results were not satisfactory for all.

This year’s NHD marks the resumption of offline competitions all over the world, which enabled students to join in various academic conferences henceforth which include the STEM fair. With the start of this new chapter, enthusiastic future historians look forward to delivering the first place trophy to DIS in subsequent years.

NHD participants hold up their Team Korea flags in front of the Xfinity Center at the University of Maryland. Photo courtesy of Ms. Katie Kim.

Congratulations to all our NHD participants in June this year!

Junior Documentary

• Jayden Hayward, Jake Park, Yujun Piao, Evan Rossmeisl (G9)
  • Jio Kim, Sophie Lee, Leewen Wang (G9)

Junior Group Exhibit

• Ginna Kim, Shannon Moore, Jason Woo (G9)

Senior Individual Performance

• Christopher Ryu (G10)
  • Nayoung Kim (G11)
12
View Comments (12)
About the Contributors
Andrew Shim
Andrew Shim, Writer
Now a senior, Andrew begins his second year with the Jets Flyover. Eager to write about the latest news and sports, Andrew takes his passion to the next level in the multimedia program. In his leisure time, he often finds himself lost in the wonders of science. Aside from his interest in journalism, Andrew hopes to improve his photography skills in order to capture every moment of his last year in DIS.

Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Catherine Park
Catherine Park, Editor in Chief
Cath loves writing stories and making art. Luckily, God gifted her a talented left hand. As the vice president of the National Arts Honor Society, she can be seen drawing around campus. Cath explores many different genres of books, music, movies, and activities, and is willing to explore more about them throughout her experience as the editor-in-chief. All she needs is paper, a pencil, an eraser, and her dog, Russell. Cath writes, illustrates comics, edits articles, and manages the Jets Flyover.
Jessica Woo
Jessica Woo, Managing Editor
A eleven year veteran at DIS, Jessica Woo returns to the Flyover staff in her junior year. As an engaged student who loves to read and write, Jessica helps other students improve and always attempts to step up as a writer herself. Founder of the Jets Broadcasting Service, she communicates and delivers informative messages to the DIS community. As much as she adores writing, Jessica deems herself a baseball-holic and attempts to watch every game if possible.