Three of Four Teams Reach SKAC Elementary Futsal Finals

Jet narrowly miss in nail-biter matches
Midfielder+Gio+Park+competes+against+a+GIFS+defender+for+a+possession.+Other+teammates+wait+for+the+pass.+
Luna Kang
Midfielder Gio Park competes against a GIFS defender for a possession. Other teammates wait for the pass.

The DIS elementary futsal teams traveled to Handong International School (HIS) for the Southern Korean Athletic Conference (SKAC) Elementary Futsal Finals on Oct. 24. Both boys’ and girls’ A and B teams wrapped up their seasons as Mr. Purdy, Mrs. Jolly, and high school student coaches accompanied the young athletes to the finals.

Coach Jolly and student coach Maddox Jolly carefully analyze the game to come up with new strategies. Gaby Kim and Kyla Ahn hold up the “Go Jets!” cheering towels to show DIS spirit. (Luna Kang)

As the games progressed, three out of four teams advanced to the championship matches. Unfortunately, the boys’ B team concluded their journey there, with a cutthroat loss of 3-2 against International School of Busan (ISB) after an earlier win against them in the first game of the day. 

Harika Veluvolu in third grade shields the ball from the opponent. She dashes straight for an open shot. (Luna Kang)
Girls team players stretch and discuss strategies for the next match. They get warmed up to dominate the game. (Luna Kang)

With second place in all divisions, the results left room for improvement. The boys’ A team lost against ISB 2-1, and Busan Foreign School (BFS) varsity defeated the girls’ A team with a score of 2-1. The girls’ B team played the closest with a one-score difference at the penalty shootout against Gyeongnam International Foreign School (GIFS).

Striker Arthur Silva shows off his skills as he dribbles around the GIFS defender. This leads to a perfect angle for the direct line to the goal. (Luna Kang)

The Jets expressed sorrow with the results on the ride home. “I was sad because we got second place at the end of the day. I also felt bad because I was too short to block the high balls. When we lost, our team cried, but we all were fine, and I am still happy that we got second place,” B team goalkeeper Lia Kim said.

Goalkeeper Stella Park shakes hands with her BFS counterpart after a close match. Both teams come together to acknowledge the skills and hard work demonstrated throughout their games. (Luna Kang)

Controversial calls from the refs exacerbated the disappointment of the tough losses. “I think the referees were unfair. The rule says that players cannot slide tackle, and if they do, even if it was a clean tackle, the tackler receives a foul. In the tournament and the finals, the other team kept slide-tackling, and the referee did not call for it,” boys varsity starter Joseph Cho said. 

Fourth grade boys roar in excitement after their victory at the semifinals. They get hyped up for the next match. (Luna Kang)

Even though the Jets fell just short of the championship, the coaches believed the day was fruitful. “I was really impressed with every player, especially with how much everyone improved throughout the day. Students learned to play with much more coordination, and I hope that with the lessons they learned from this tournament, players can improve to achieve the trophy for next year,” student coach Jayden Ahn said.

Fourth grader Joseph Cho tags onto a GIFS player in an attempt to clear the ball away from the DIS goalpost. He creates an opportunity for a counter. (Andrew Shim)

The results of the finals served to help players reflect on their arduous work throughout the season. Through the games at Handong, athletes learned lessons to carry with them into future SKAC sports seasons. Elementary volleyball starts up at the end of November and features many crossover players from the futsal squads.

Andrew Shim
Andrew Shim, Writer
Now a senior, Andrew begins his second year with the Jets Flyover. Eager to write about the latest news and sports, Andrew takes his passion to the next level in the multimedia program. In his leisure time, he often finds himself lost in the wonders of science. Aside from his interest in journalism, Andrew hopes to improve his photography skills in order to capture every moment of his last year in DIS.

Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!