ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Middle school girls secure second place & boys take home a big win

Fall sports season opens at KISAC Soccer Tournament on Jeju Island
Coach+Gall+calls+for+a+huddle.+His+inspirational+pep+talk+before+the+intense+game+gets+the+Jets+hearts+pumping.+Photo+courtesy+of+Ms.+Katie+Shin.++
Coach Gall calls for a huddle. His inspirational pep talk before the intense game gets the Jets’ hearts pumping. Photo courtesy of Ms. Katie Shin.

The middle school futsal teams embarked on a journey to Jeju for the Korean International Schools Activities Conference (KISAC) soccer tournament on Oct. 19. The boys competed at North London Collegiate School (NLCS) while the girls competed at Branksome Hall Asia (BHA). The girls’ varsity team won 2nd place after a tough defeat at the finals against NLCS, and the girls’ junior varsity team ended 5th, as well as the boys’. 

The two teams bow to each other with respect before the game starts. A nervous silence fills the open air. Photo courtesy of Ms. Katie Shin.

The varsity girls engaged in five intense matches throughout the tournament. On the opening day, they lost 3-10 to NLCS and tied 6-6 against Korean International School Jeju (KISJ). Mr. Faille, the girls’ coach, said, “The tie was a narrow game. The girls were losing, and for me, it was a win because it was a comeback since they were losing 4-2 but were able to end it in a 6-6 tie.” 

Sarah Cho revs up for the game against BHA. She practices her kick to score winning goals against her team’s rivals. (Kaylie Jeong)

Day two marked a turn of events for the girls. They advanced to the finals with neck-and-neck one-point victories over Busan Foreign School (BFS) and BHA, a narrow margin of 3-2 and 4-3, respectively. Unfortunately, their attempt to prevail over NLCS fell short (11-1). Sarah Cho, the ace defender, said, “We were not expecting to go to the finals, and the team worked really hard. The result was worse [than the first day], and I think we could have had more success, but we really tried our best.” 

At the awards ceremony, the girls received recognition through a sportsmanship award, a new prize that the KISAC organizers implemented just this year. This award proved that they not only won games, but also displayed fair play throughout the tourney. Cho said,  “We complemented other teams, and unlike the opponents that said bad words, we talked good about the other team.” Both girls’ squads demonstrated how to respect opponents and referees, whether they won or lost.

The JV girls stunned the crowd with a one-point victory against BFS on the second day (1-0). Despite the losses they suffered through their three previous games, they managed to stay optimistic and fight through both days with full effort. Mr. Faille said, “It was a tough competition for a lot of them since it was the first time they played, so it was a big challenge. We scored lots of goals, … and we were able to overcome the mistakes from before. The girls tried their best on the field.”

The boys shake their hands with the NLCS players after an intense game in the wind. Both teams acknowledge each other’s hard work. Photo courtesy of Ms. Katie Shin.

While the girls roughed it out, the varsity boys also fought hard on the first day. They competed in five games, which tested their physical and mental strength. The boys lost the first four matches but secured a victory against BFS in the last game. Mr. Gall, the boys’ coach, said, “I think they arrived with confidence, maybe slightly overconfident. But their mentality is fantastic because they don’t get flustered if they go a few goals down. They still try to do the right things. If they score a few goals and go a couple of goals up, they don’t get excited either. They stay calm and I think that is a really strong characteristic for any sport.”

Jayden Lee, the top-scoring striker, said, “The team was desperate for the last game. We wanted to have one win for the school, as the team cheered up. I had to watch the first half of the game because of my injury, but the game went well as we secured two goals in the first half.” Despite the injury Lee faced, he scored three more goals in the second half, which assured the victory for DIS. 

Jayden Lee warms up before the game against BFS. He makes last-minute changes to his shooting skills. Photo courtesy of Ms. Katie Shin.

On the second day, the varsity team hyped up their team spirit to try and win again. As an underdog, they fought against NLCS again, who beat them the day before. Even with a loss of 2-6, Lee said, “Our team fought our best until the end. I’m very proud of the team and I believe that the 6th and 7th graders will do well next year.” He hopes to practice on larger fields, so they feel more prepared for future soccer tournaments. Futsal grounds are smaller in size compared to soccer. 

Elly Song and Christina Kim in sixth grade cheer on their fellow Jets. Their chants hype up the team morale. (Kaylie Jeong)

The middle school players traveled to Handong International School (HIS) and finished their SKAC Finals on November 14th. Check the Flyover sports section for an article on the finals in the next week.

View Comments (6)
About the Contributors
Elena Lee
Elena Lee, Writer/Illustrator
8th grader Elena Lee attended DIS since first grade. With the ambition of a first-year staff member, she can’t wait to fill the site with her designs. In her free time, she immerses herself in various hobbies -- volleyball, baking, styling outfits for her buddies, and so much more. You can see her play volleyball in the gym or toot on the flute in Mr. Hutchings’s band. Elena brings her passion for food to the Flyover and plans to share her secret recipes with all of you. 
Alex Seo
Alex Seo, Writer
Alex Seo, an eighth-grader who loves to write, returns to the Flyover to share school news and personal opinions. He plays a diverse array of sports which include futsal, volleyball, and badminton. SKAC events deliver Alex with an indescribable thrill. He loves to deep dive into topics that hype him up. In order to realize his dream position as a future Flyover editor, Alex plans to further craft his journalist skills this year.
Kaylie Jeong
Kaylie Jeong, Writer
Kaylie Jeong, an 8th-grade student at DIS, returns to Jets Flyover after a one-year hiatus. As a devoted member of Jets athletic teams, she revels in a range of sports, among them futsal, volleyball, and badminton. She reveres literary luminaries like J.R.R. Tolkien and Roy Peter Clark, renowned for their masterful canon and ability to captivate readers. During this school year, she commits herself to further hone her style, voice, and rhetorical devices.