Dissection of a School Staple

Learning Lab goes under the microscope
Although+Learning+Lab+allows+Jets+to+seek+guidance+and+focus+on+their+homework%2C+some+question+the+effectivity+of+the+practice.+
Christine Park.
Although Learning Lab allows Jets to seek guidance and focus on their homework, some question the effectivity of the practice.

A DIS staple since 2010, Learning Lab provides students with time to study and receive help from teachers. The period further allows middle and high schoolers to work on homework assignments, speak to teachers, and complete corrections and retakes.

These sessions offer a multitude of benefits. The emphasis a study hall puts on self-driven education allows students to develop important life skills such as responsibility, time management, and organization. In Learning Lab, teachers leave pupils to their own discretion to work diligently and get things done.

Additionally, an extra period for classwork relieves academic stress and pressure. At times, the relaxed and self-paced atmosphere allows students to take a much-needed break from overwhelming academics. If they get a portion of their homework done at school, that translates to less workload at home after a busy day of extracurricular activities. 

Study hall policies tend to differ teacher by teacher. While some may allow snacks, music, and occasional free time, others may not. Some even keep “sign out” sheets to record students’ whereabouts. On the other hand, common grounds do exist. All teachers check for a list of missing work and occasionally step in to help pupils who struggle with academia. 

With all its benefits, the autonomy of the class leads to several practical issues. Some do not effectively finish tasks and get distracted. They might watch Netflix or YouTube, play video games, banter with peers, or even catch a quick nap. “There are obvious signs — like a student has their head down. Or, you could sometimes tell [that] students are off track if they’re talking a lot, and it’s clearly not related to the content,” said Ms. Loutsch, high school English teacher.

Various individuals prefer different work environments. Some desire a quiet and focused atmosphere, whereas others prefer an interactive one. The variety of tastes leads to conflicts within the classroom.

[Learning Lab is] really hard to manage because some people really want to have a quiet learning time, while some people want to discuss and talk. So, I sometimes have to make them all quiet [so that] some people can do retakes.

— Ms. Wang

Many believe that the problem lies within the relaxed and self-driven environment. However, solutions point toward personalized class environments. Since the root of the discrepancy lies in the differences in the atmosphere students prefer, organized groups of similar tendencies will allow everyone to use this period to its fullest. 

Although scheduling conflicts and classroom capacities may limit the efficacy of this suggestion, teachers must try their best to work out optimal conditions to enhance focus and cooperation. For example, they can send surveys to collect data on each student’s opinions for a potential resolution.

Size comes across as another way to improve study hall. Larger classes pose a management problem for teachers. “My Learning Lab only has three kids and a teacher, so it’s really quiet. In my ninth grade Learning Lab, we had 12th graders, 11th graders, 10th graders, and ninth graders. [My current Learning Lab] is better because it [provides] a more personalized experience, and I can get more help from the teacher,” said Brian Cho in 10th grade.

While Learning Labs already provide a multitude of benefits, members of the DIS community see room for significant improvement. Smaller and more tailored classes will allow both students and teachers to become more productive and allow high schoolers to reach their full potential. But for the time being, take the opportunity to catch up on your homework.

Eugene Sung
Eugene Sung, Writer
Caffeine addict Eugene Sung rejoins the Jets Flyover team as a writer in his junior year at Daegu International School. His short attention span and passion for exploration means he ventures around Daegu often to visit local cafes and see the sights. His love for traveling inspires most of his writing, as he often journals about his experiences. He hopes to bring this curious spirit to the Flyover as a writer to take interesting pictures, meet new people, and discover captivating locations.

Dylan Wang
Dylan Wang, Managing Editor
Dylan Wang declares himself as a Renaissance man. His interests vary from music to sports, and he participates in varieties of extracurricular activities such as Rock Band, MUN, and Student Council. For this reason, he writes in many different styles about many different topics, from features to opinion pieces. Through this process, he attained several useful strategies and tips, and now he helps others learn to write like a pro. As Managing Editor of the Jets Flyover, Dylan hopes to help new staff writers grow as he ends his DIS journey.
Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication. 

Christine Park.
Christine Park., Illustrator
After years of persuasion from her peers that sparked intrinsic motivation, Christine Park finally enters Journalism as a senior. Chris’s greatest passion revolves around the field of art and anime. Her role as the president of the National Art Honors Society and Visual Arts Club proves the enthusiasm she bears for artistry. As the new illustrator for the Jets Flyover, Chris is eager to dive into journalism and share her artwork and comics with a wider audience.

• D

Daniel. kimNov 19, 2023 at 1:17 am

I love learning lab!!!

• J

joshNov 18, 2023 at 9:50 pm

nice topic! keep up the good work!

• E

edwardNov 16, 2023 at 6:29 pm

amazing article you are so smart man good job oh my god

• S

SolahNov 3, 2023 at 7:49 am

Great article! My new school doesn’t have learning lab period and it’s really stressful to keep moving without break 🙁
    Nice job!!