Apple Pay: The Future of Digital Transactions

Mobile Payment Service Finally Lands in Korea
Apple+Pay+lands+in+Korea+as+one+of+the+most+long-awaited+technologies+produced+by+the+corporate+giant.+
Oliver Park
Apple Pay lands in Korea as one of the most long-awaited technologies produced by the corporate giant.

After Apple Pay’s sensational release in 2014, Apple fanatics (앱등이) in Korea eagerly waited for its local landing. However, as the company postponed the adaptation, netizens expressed their frustration of missing out on this global trend. This March, however, the mobile payment service finally arrived in Korea after nine long years, exciting numerous tech-savvy consumers.

Double-clicking the side button activates Apple Pay and allows users to simply tap their wrist for transactions. (Oliver Park)

The system quickly arose as the easiest way to compensate at local stores. Thanks to Near Field Communication (NFC), users only need to add their card information to the Wallet app and place their phones on a credit reader to pay at any store. This speedy and smooth process amazed me when I first used it at a convenience store.

Wallet shows users their latest credit card transactions so they can keep track of spending. (Oliver Park)

Apple Pay also boasts advanced high-encrypted user privacy that exceeds most other mobile transaction services: It provides a private card number to users instead of the standard credit card number to ensure safety. Due to the notion that online exchanges might risk privacy issues, I hesitated to try it out at first, but after a bit of research into these security features, I decided to give it a shot.

Curious about this new technology, I discussed with a staff member at Apple the market views on cashless expenses and how this new payment function will change the old-school insert-card system. They introduced me to “Apple Card High-Yield Savings,” which is a feature that enables users to receive financial benefits from their deposits. They further envisioned developments such as the enhancement of accessibility to more credit companies other than Hyundai – its only connection as of now – as well as its incorporation in public transportation.

Users can see their transactions through the Wallet app on their Apple Watch. (Oliver Park)

Apple Pay continues to redefine our online interactions, and I eagerly anticipate its growth as an indispensable tool in the future. In Samsung-dominated Korea, the introduction of this new program became a wake-up call for the Korean tech giant, pressuring the corporation to launch better products. 

A double-click on the side or the home button activates Apple Pay, enabling contactless payment. (Oliver Park)

Despite challenges such as compatibility with credit companies and public transportation systems, I believe that Apple Pay will become an essential tool for Koreans, and look forward to seeing how it evolves in the future.

Oliver Park
Oliver Park, Writer
Oliver Park, a freshman at DIS, loves everything coding and app development. As a top-tier Apple Fanatic (앱등이), he jokes that he could cultivate an entire orchard with his array of Apple products. One day, he hopes to visit the iconic Apple headquarters, Apple Park, in pursuit of his tech-driven dreams. This year, Oliver plans to write informative articles on all things tech. 
Luna Kang
Luna Kang, Section Editor
Luna, after 13 long years, finally enters her last act as a senior at DIS. She vibes with illustration and photography, but also takes great interest in music and literature. Having been with the Flyover for over half her time here, Luna reads and spices up almost every article that gets published. So far, her own best articles are in the feature categories - Go check them out!
Catherine Park
Catherine Park, Editor in Chief
Cath loves writing stories and making art. Luckily, God gifted her a talented left hand. As the vice president of the National Arts Honor Society, she can be seen drawing around campus. Cath explores many different genres of books, music, movies, and activities, and is willing to explore more about them throughout her experience as the editor-in-chief. All she needs is paper, a pencil, an eraser, and her dog, Russell. Cath writes, illustrates comics, edits articles, and manages the Jets Flyover.
Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication.