ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Fourth-gen K-pop idols spark lip syncing controversy

Up and comers favor choreography over vocals
Although+K-Pop+idols+wow+their+fans+with+their+hardcore+choreo%2C+their+lacking+vocals+cause+many+fans+to+taldeok%2C+or+leave+the+fandom.++
Christine Park
Although K-Pop idols wow their fans with their hardcore choreo, their lacking vocals cause many fans to “taldeok,” or leave the fandom.

*This article was also published in Headliners in Education.

Kim, a fervent fan of IVE, cheered with exuberance as his angelic idols Wonyoung and Leeseo walked onto the stage with mics in their perfectly manicured hands. But after the concert, he stomped off the set and crushed the light-stick that was once his pride and joy. 

Turns out, the two ‘singers’ didn’t sing at all. Instead, they sat in their chairs, smiled for the camera, and lip-synced the entire performance. 

Dance serves as the keystone of fourth-generation K-Pop. Compared to earlier generations with all-rounder artists, “4th-gen idols usually focus on dancing and the performance aspect nowadays, not the actual singing,” Luisa Silva in seventh grade, a BTS and Seventeen stan, said. 

Personally, I think companies take the emphasis on the visual aspect ludicrously far. On most stages, groups lip-sync entire songs. In fact, fans only hear their voices live on encore stages when they perform without a backing track. Even these forms undergo heavy pitch corrections before public release. 

IVE, a top girl group in Korea, brings the lip-syncing controversy to the spotlight every time they release a new album. Although they improve with each comeback, many still consider their vocals subpar. At Tone Knob, a vocal academy, trainers Lee Pu-rum, Kim Dong-Hyun, and Yoon In-Ku reviewed IVE’s live singing for their debut track ‘Eleven’. All three coaches pointed out the instability throughout the performance. “The members seem to struggle with switching their vocal registers,” Lee said.

Initially, I loved the group’s hits like ‘Love Dive’. But as someone who values ‘talent’ in idols, their unstable live singing turned me off big time. For instance, at the M Countdown encore live for their recent track ‘I AM’, Wonyoung went off-pitch for most of the bridge to the point where I turned the video off. 

Fans often defend their favorite artists with excuses like, “They were emotional from the win,” or “They were tired because of their busy schedules.” But on a fundamental level, K-Pop idols are professional ‘singers’, not entertainers or dancers. We don’t expect divas like Ariana Grande, but they should at least try to stay in tune. 

Many K-Pop stans agree with this view. “Of course they need to be good singers,” seventh-grader Michelle Doh, an Army and NCTzen said. “Idols are supposed to be good at singing, dancing, rapping, and everything.” 

Despite this popular opinion, management companies continue to emphasize dance over everything else. Starship refused to respond to IVE’s lip-sync controversy at the 2022 MBC Music Festival even when the incident went live on the national news. I can’t help but say that they should have retrained the girls, especially when better vocals could be the cherry on top of their catchy discography and help them garner a skill-based fandom. 

In all honesty, the upgraded stages of newborn groups mesmerize me. But I also empathize with the angry fans who want to hear their favorite performers sing even more. The K-pop industry should work to create artists that strike a golden balance between vocals and dance so fans can wave their light-sticks in joy instead of trashing them in anger.

View Comments (7)
About the Contributors
Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication. 

Catherine Park
Catherine Park, Editor in Chief
Cath loves writing stories and making art. Luckily, God gifted her a talented left hand. As the vice president of the National Arts Honor Society, she can be seen drawing around campus. Cath explores many different genres of books, music, movies, and activities, and is willing to explore more about them throughout her experience as the editor-in-chief. All she needs is paper, a pencil, an eraser, and her dog, Russell. Cath writes, illustrates comics, edits articles, and manages the Jets Flyover.
Christine Park
Christine Park, Illustrator
After years of persuasion from her peers that sparked intrinsic motivation, Christine Park finally enters Journalism as a senior. Chris’s greatest passion revolves around the field of art and anime. Her role as the president of the National Art Honors Society and Visual Arts Club proves the enthusiasm she bears for artistry. As the new illustrator for the Jets Flyover, Chris is eager to dive into journalism and share her artwork and comics with a wider audience.