• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

Taiwan Exchange Program: DIS goes overseas

Freshmen jet to Taipei for an educational and cultural experience

The gates open as eager students land in Taoyuan International Airport. They take the bus to Asia American International Academy (AAIA), DIS’ sister school. After a week in Korea as homestay guests, AAIA reciprocated and invited ninth graders to Taiwan to experience life in a new academic, cultural environment during spring break.

Last-minute changes took the journey through a rough start. Freshman Yujun Piao and elementary Chinese teacher Ms. Zhu could not join due to passport and visa problems. Piao said,“[my partner] is a very chill guy, and his parents were like, ‘We welcome you to come in anytime.’ When I couldn’t get my visa, I didn’t really care because it’s something that I cannot control.” In Ms. Zhu’s absence, Mr. Gum took over as chaperone. 

On day one, freshmen visited Taipei 101 and made DIY leather cup holders. Shopping malls, night markets, and authentic restaurants filled the rest of the day. The next morning, Jets commuted to AAIA and attended classes to immerse themselves fully in the new school. They learned how to order boba tea, paint Chinese calligraphy, and juggle Diabolo (Chinese yoyo), which elevated the visit to the next level. “The teachers at AAIA were amazing — very welcoming and really great hosts. I was really surprised to see some teachers there, they were super qualified,” said Mr. Gum. 

On day one, DIS and AAIA students traveled to Taipei 101 — the tallest building in the nation. The height of the building stood no chance against the level of enjoyment they had. (Jets Flyover Staff)

AAIA planned a full tour filled with traditional foods and unique activities like laser tag. Students tasted the diverse and vibrant local culture at its fullest. “I tried stinky tofu for the first time. I only heard about it and how it smells so bad. It tasted good on the first taste, but then after you chewed it a bit, the smell came off and it was kind of bad,” said ninth-grader Jake Park. 

After learning how to order boba tea in Chinese, Belle Kim in ninth grade gets a passion fruit tea with confidence. She successfully orders her menu and rewards herself with a sip. Photo courtesy of AAIA.
Aiden Huh in ninth grade adds final touches to his poster during Photoshop class. Aiden’s AAIA partner, Andrew, gives him advice as he completes his work. (Jets Flyover Staff)

Away from group tours, DIS also enjoyed personal time with host families and formed special memories and bonds. “We did many things. On the first day when we went to Taiwan, everybody acted separately. People who lived in similar areas, close to each other, went out to play together. Others such as me or Jio, we were far away from other students, so we played with our partners and hung out at the mall,” Park said. 

A student in AAIA teaches Jake Park in ninth grade how to control Diabolo, the Chinese yoyo. With constant rolls, Park aims to feel the rhythm. At last, he presents his enhanced skill. Photo courtesy of AAIA.

Unfortunately, Mr. Gum suffered from illness and missed out on some of the fun. “I got some sort of stomach bug the second day I was there so I had to recover in my hotel room. I really wanted to be with the students. But luckily, the admin at AAIA took great care of our students. I saw all the fun students were having without me and it made me super jealous,” he said.

Ninth graders Jake Park and Aiden Huh prepare their brushes to practice traditional calligraphy. Events like this allowed students to learn the culture with hands-on experience. Photo courtesy of AAIA.

After a short-felt five days, participants from both countries said their final goodbyes and took one last group photo. Springtime filled with boba, lifetime friendships, and cherished memories — the exchange trip closed on a sweet note.

On their way back to Korea, Mr. Gum snaps a quick photo of the freshmen to send to their parents. They leave with heartwarming experiences and appetizing snacks to share with their families (Jets Flyover Staff)
About the Contributor
Leewen Wang
Leewen Wang, Writer
Freshman Leewen Wang, an OG member of the DIS community, returns to her third year on the Flyover staff. In her leisure time, she plays sports, hangs out with her family and friends, and travels the globe to chase new thrills. This year, she represents her class in the High School Student Council and hopes to showcase her insight to fellow Flyover fans.