ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

Say Goodbye to Apple’s Innovation

Underwhelming iPhone and Apple Watch upgrades disappoint techies
To+the+anticipation+of+many+techies%2C+Apple+returned+with+its+new+release+of+2023.+However%2C+it+disappointed+many+fans+with+its+lack+of+meaningful+changes.+
Oliver Park
To the anticipation of many techies, Apple returned with its new release of 2023. However, it disappointed many fans with its lack of meaningful changes.

Every year in the month of Techember (a term that denotes September, the month of tech fairs), I set my alarm faithfully to wake me up at 2 a.m., eager to witness the revelations of corporate giants like Apple, Google, and Samsung. This year, Apple unveiled its highly anticipated iPhone lineup, but the event left me dismayed. 

The hype around the event had centered around one expectation: the forceful rules given by the European Union (EU) to transition from their traditional Lightning ports (the iPhone charger) to the versatile USB-C (MacBook charger). As a techie, I dedicated a sleepless night to celebrate this massive change. But the otherwise lackluster event took my enthusiasm away, and disappointment grew in its place. 

Time after time, the corporate giant brought nothing but woeful results. Every year, Apple recycles its previous features and boasts about its “innovation.” As someone who always feels thrilled at the prospects of fresh releases, the minuscule changes, packaged as a revolution, disheartened me. 

Apple introduced its first carbon-neutral product, the Apple Watch Series 9 with a sports loop. Courtesy of Tim Cook (X)

The company devoted a substantial portion of the event to carbon neutrality and sustainability of the new Apple Watch. While commendable, I felt frustrated at the gadget’s lack of significant design changes. Apple kept the round-edged look for over five years; people cannot differentiate between the Series 7 and the newest model. 

iPhone 15 and Plus features stunning five colors with fan-favorite, Dynamic Island. Courtesy of Apple.

In the latter half of the event, Apple introduced its newest iPhone lineup, which featured models such as the iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro, and 15 Pro Max. Some aspects of the latest models caught my eye — especially the gorgeous pastel-toned colors and the addition of the Dynamic Island, a pill-shaped notch that intuitively displayed both active and background tasks. They also embraced the USB-C standard, a move long-awaited by many. While the USB-C ports upped the game, Apple did not deliver on other upgrades such as an improved camera and display quality. 

iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max is available with Apple’s newest finishes in titanium with new charging-port, USB-C. Courtesy of Apple.

But Apple did upgrade the sturdiness and speed of the iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max. They swapped out the original stainless steel frame for a more durable titanium finish in the two models. To top it off, they incorporated the blazingly fast 3nm A17 Pro chip, which outpaces most Mac lineups. Despite these innovations, my disappointment resurfaced as I realized that the camera and display remained unchanged from its predecessors. 

Netizens flooded with spider-man pointing at each other after Apple’s iPhone release with no big changes. (Oliver Park)

Even before the death of Steve Jobs, Apple perpetuated its incremental updates. After this year’s introduction, netizens flooded the X homepage with memes of Spider-Men pointing at each other. This satirized the company’s tendency to nearly clone their design every release. 

I wonder what the standard iPhone 15 model would look like if the EU hadn’t forced the company to switch to the USB-C. Would Apple have cloned their older models, or would they have taken their design a step further? 

While Techember continues to be a month of high anticipation, this year’s event left me with a sense of déjà vu. Each year, Apple shifts toward sales more than its original purpose: innovation; it feels like another old, stale present for tech fans.  

View Comments (5)
About the Contributors
Oliver Park
Oliver Park, Writer
Oliver Park, a freshman at DIS, loves everything coding and app development. As a top-tier Apple Fanatic (앱등이), he jokes that he could cultivate an entire orchard with his array of Apple products. One day, he hopes to visit the iconic Apple headquarters, Apple Park, in pursuit of his tech-driven dreams. This year, Oliver plans to write informative articles on all things tech. 
Jessica Woo
Jessica Woo, Managing Editor
A eleven year veteran at DIS, Jessica Woo returns to the Flyover staff in her junior year. As an engaged student who loves to read and write, Jessica helps other students improve and always attempts to step up as a writer herself. Founder of the Jets Broadcasting Service, she communicates and delivers informative messages to the DIS community. As much as she adores writing, Jessica deems herself a baseball-holic and attempts to watch every game if possible. 

Leanne Yoon
Leanne Yoon, Managing Editor
Leanne Yoon, dubbed as “Lenny” by her close friends, rises into her sophomore year bursting with ambition. As a leader of clubs such as Menstruation Station, SOAR, Debate Club and String Orchestra, Leanne often ponders on what else she could bring to her fellow Jets. In her leisure time, she vibes to music and immerses herself in all things K-culture. This year, Leanne hopes to bring the Flyover to the next level as the co-managing editor of the publication.