• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

Teens caught in a cycle of cyberbets

The rise of illegal gambling in Korea
Ellen Cho
Illegal online activities, including gambling, harm many Korean teenagers today.

One teenager hops online in the dark of the night, a haunted smile on their face as they hope that they’ll hit the jackpot today and earn back their lost money. The 2020s shift to virtual environments forges a double-edged sword for Korean society: a platform for convenience, but also a hub for crime. A primary target for digital mischief, teens purchase more online content than any other generation, some of which goes beyond the borders of law. 

The widespread use of criminal betting platforms among teenagers emerges as a noteworthy concern. The Korean Broadcasting System described the level of this issue: “In some cases, up to a third of a class was involved in illegal online activities.”

Easy accessibility lies as a major reason behind the proliferation of prohibited wagers. Illicit websites lure vulnerable teenagers with seemingly innocuous features that resemble familiar games.

A report from the Korea Youth Counseling & Welfare Institute(KYCWI) described, “Teens are often neglected in consideration of the gambling industry due to their high academic contribution…[however,] minors’ participation in illicit online activities have increased dramatically over the past few years.” 

In regard to this issue, the sixth commissioner of the KYCWI, professor Eunkyung Lee, said, “Following the innovations in the IT industry, the cyber world has been an attractive spot for growing teenagers…the material-focused social environment also contributes to this issue.” 

The internet exacerbates this vicious cycle as well. Lee said, “The peer culture among teens and the social norms of valuing money are thought to be the major causes of this issue…the experiences often lead to further problems with addiction and crime.”

Teenagers shared similar concerns. Sophomore Brian Hyun said, “It is easy to find advertisements for online gambling on social media websites and the internet.” 

In South Korea, the law prohibits all forms of online betting for teens. However, some youths still fall into the harmful loop of gambling. “Some friends I know participate in illegal sports betting. Many don’t know how serious a crime it is,” Hyun said. 

The insidious effects of digital crime demand attention due to its nature of addictiveness and grave financial risk. As this culture persists, more youths feed into these online prisons. What steps combat this issue? 

Professor Lee provided an insightful solution. “Such illicit websites are difficult to differentiate from simple games, and they are easily accessible through media with advertisements. Therefore, the supply of these websites must be strictly prohibited, along with the enforcement of addiction prevention education. For this purpose, on February 24, 2024, the Presidential Committee of National Cohesion launched a project dedicated to realizing these assertions,” she said.

While illegal adolescent activities raised concerns, Korea’s increased efforts in resolving this issue give hope for a brighter future. “There are many beneficial ways for teenagers to earn income…I work part-time jobs and hold economic investments,” Hyun said. The government’s policies alone wouldn’t solve this problem; instead, we must encourage the cooperation of multiple aspects of society. We must provide preventative education, implement healthy financial habits, and protect minors from the hands of criminals on the web. We can only put an end to this matter together through the joint efforts of the government and the public.

Jerome Kwon
Jerome Kwon, Writer
Jerome Kwon makes a comeback to the Jets Flyover staff after a one-year hiatus. With his heart on his sleeve, Jerome desires to write inspiring, thought-provoking, and critical articles for the students of DIS. Jerome greatly admires Mr. Lipsky and hopes to learn from him. He has a profound interest in the current geopolitical issues that affect the globe, especially Korea. He aims to become a riveting columnist and provide the latest investigative journalism for the people.
Ellen Cho
Ellen Cho, Illustrator
Freshmen Ellen Cho joins the Flyover staff for the first time. She brings interest and passion in diverse fields such as STEM, sports, and art. Through her dedication and commitment, Ellen strives to make meaningful contributions in the community while she continues to pursue her interests across multiple fields.