• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

Eighth-graders gather in Gyeongju to celebrate life milestone

End of middle school gala unfolds at amusement park
Alex Seo
Chirayu Joshi, Justin Huh, and Thomas Kim celebrate their safe return from a intensive ride, the Draken.

After many setbacks and eager anticipation, the long-awaited day arrived for the eighth graders: their end-of-middle-school celebration trip. With excitement in the air, the students embarked on a visit to Gyeongju World on April 26th, which marked not only the end of their middle school years but also the beginning of a new chapter of their academic journey.

The three musketeers, Hans Park, Sahn Choi, and Junsei Tsuchimoto, endure the long wait for the Viking ride. (Alex Seo)

Organized by Mrs. Cameron, this celebration provided a much-needed opportunity for the teens. “We planned this journey to recognize that this is a special moment for eighth-grade students as they [finish] middle school and [prepare] for high school. We talked as an administrative team and gave a survey to eighth-grade parents, asking them for some ideas about what we wanted to do to celebrate the end of this time. We wanted to recognize that this group of students had to do a lot to get through middle school, especially because of COVID-19,” Mrs. Cameron, the secondary principal, said. 

Elsa Chiang, Alice Han, and Sarah Cho radiate joy after picking a prize from the gacha machine. (Alex Seo)

Surprisingly, the eighth graders’ parents were the ones who proposed the destination. “We asked our eighth-grade parents what kind of event they thought would be very fun to celebrate the end of middle school. Several suggested a visit to Gyeongju World. We also thought about ending it really special with a good meal. So we went to Ashely Queens and had a great time together,” Mrs. Cameron said. 

Agnew Kim and Lydia smile in glee at the buffet’s endless feast. Kim grabs a mouthful of Vietnamese rice noodles. (Elena Lee)

Despite the sweltering heat, students enjoyed a range of attractions. They particularly reveled in rides like Draken, the scariest roller coaster in Korea, and Viking, which swings back and forth like a ship assailing the Seven Seas.

Claire Kim and company line up to ride the 360 swing, drenched in water by the flume ride. (Sally Yun)

Thanks to the diligent efforts of both teachers and parents, the kids relished every moment of the day. “I loved the water rides since it was hot during the day. But the big orange roller coaster was scary since I was scared of heights. Overall, there were no conflicts and it was great. Everyone was getting along. It was just wonderful. I felt like I deserved this since I couldn’t go on my fifth-grade graduation trip because of COVID-19,” Joseph Seo Chambless said.

Matthew Park splurges all his pocket money for the perfect toy. (Alex Seo)

The teacher chaperones expressed their joy at the event’s success as well. “My favorite part of this visit was seeing the eighth-graders getting soaked. They were all soaked after riding the submarine splash — Michelle and James got completely covered in water,” Mr. Hutchings said. 

Minji Kim and Michelle Kim get ready for the submarine ride. (Kaylie Jeong)

After the rides, the group visited Ashley Queens’ Buffet and indulged in the wide array of cuisines. “I loved the ice cream and pork ribs. They really had the flavors. The ice cream was fantastic. I especially loved the chocolate fondue,” Chambless said. 

Alex Jang channels his inner hunger as he devours his chicken skewer. (Alex Seo)

Some proposed ideas for future outings, which sparked inspiration for next year’s graduation party. “I think it was a nice idea. Everyone enjoyed it. It was a nice way to end eighth grade since they finally got the chance after Covid-19 started. But I would like next year to do something different next. Something cool. Theme parks are fun but something different like river rafting might be a fun field trip, too,” Mr. Hutchings said. 

Mary Cho celebrates her victory after finally obtaining the toy she desires. (Alex Seo)

This journey also marks the commencement of graduation trips for fifth and eighth graders. “Moving forward, we will have annual special field trips for both fifth and eighth graders because those are special times for students, finishing elementary and middle school and then having time to celebrate that achievement. So we decided to have that happen every year, as a special tradition,” Mrs. Cameron said. 

A group of eighth graders stand around in disbelief as Jason Kim reveals his hidden dance talent. (Alex Seo)

Trip-goers thank Mrs. Cameron and all chaperones for ever-lasting memories at Gyeongju World. The time together served as a fitting end to middle school and symbolized a transition into ninth grade. 

Kaylie Jeong
Kaylie Jeong, Writer
Kaylie Jeong, an 8th-grade student at DIS, returns to Jets Flyover after a one-year hiatus. As a devoted member of Jets athletic teams, she revels in a range of sports, among them futsal, volleyball, and badminton. She reveres literary luminaries like J.R.R. Tolkien and Roy Peter Clark, renowned for their masterful canon and ability to captivate readers. During this school year, she commits herself to further hone her style, voice, and rhetorical devices.
Sally Yun
Sally Yun, Illustrator
Eighth-grader Sally Yun joins the Jets Flyover as a new illustrator. She brings big artistic talent to the newsroom. Sally loves to doodle on her iPad in her spare time. Her favorite sport, soccer, fills her sunny days at recess. Sally hopes to lure more eyes to Flyover articles through her innovative illustrations. Keep your eyes peeled, she might dabble with comics and interactive games in the near future.
Alex Seo
Alex Seo, Writer
Alex Seo, an eighth-grader who loves to write, returns to the Flyover to share school news and personal opinions. He plays a diverse array of sports which include futsal, volleyball, and badminton. SKAC events deliver Alex with an indescribable thrill. He loves to deep dive into topics that hype him up. In order to realize his dream position as a future Flyover editor, Alex plans to further craft his journalist skills this year.
Elena Lee
Elena Lee, Writer and Illustrator
8th grader Elena Lee attended DIS since first grade. With the ambition of a first-year staff member, she can’t wait to fill the site with her designs. In her free time, she immerses herself in various hobbies -- volleyball, baking, styling outfits for her buddies, and so much more. You can see her play volleyball in the gym or toot on the flute in Mr. Hutchings’s band. Elena brings her passion for food to the Flyover and plans to share her secret recipes with all of you. 

• M

MinjuMay 22, 2024 at 7:29 pm

it looks so fun!

• E

EmilyMay 22, 2024 at 7:29 pm

I wish I was there!

• A

Ann OhMay 22, 2024 at 7:27 pm

I wish I could go there!!!!

• E

EstherMay 22, 2024 at 7:24 pm

I hope that everyone had fun at Gyeongju world!!