ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • SKAC ES Basketball Divisional @DIS on May 4th.
  • No school on May 1st.
  • Mini College Fair on April 22nd from 9:20-9:40.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • No school on May 1st.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

My Music Resolutions for 2024

A Look Into a Hopeful Future of Audio Exploration
Christine Park

In 2023, I logged 102,817 minutes of music on Spotify (as per my “Spotify Wrapped,” released at the start of December). Even with notable releases last year such as The Japanese House’s In the End It Always Does and Daniel Caesar’s NEVER ENOUGH, I personally don’t consider it a successful year for music. Others might disagree with this “hot take”, but there was just no impact for me in a year so depressingly dominated by the genres of Latin pop and country. That being said, I look forward to the near future, and hopefully, a new year means new beginnings. Here’s what I wish for in my 2024 musical experience.

Find a new favorite artist:

(Christine Park)

The 1975, my all-time favorite band for almost 5 years, topped my leaderboard each and every December by a substantial margin. But that doesn’t mean I’m not open to new artists. I love to explore different genres across the globe, and I acquire a new obsession every two weeks. These past few months have been a hop-and-skip between ’90s shoegaze, post-punk revival, and mid-20th century soul music. 

Cult bands like The Strokes and Duster took rise in my heart this year, but just not enough to overtake my sentiment for The 1975 and their discography. In 2024, I hope to find an artist I love as much as this band and hopefully divide my attention between different genres. 

New Favorite Album:

(Christine Park)

Currently, Summer’s Over by Jordana and TV Girl takes the top place of my personal favorite album of all time. Since its release in 2021, the short yet sweet niche EP heavily dominated my algorithm and swept an indie pop wave into my playlist. The 1975 birthed Being Foreign In a Funny Language in 2022, which almost took this top spot in my heart. Rex Orange County and Thee Sacred Souls also put out masterpieces that year and brought fierce competition. On the other hand, 2023 disappointed me, and a new year hopefully brings more successful albums.

Genres:

In 2024, I desperately hope Spotify makes more genres available, specifically in video game music. OSTs like Pokemon or Animal Crossing provide the perfect instrumental soundtracks to study or sleep to, but unfortunately, official music platforms such as Spotify scarcely upload them.

Furthermore, I find myself drawn to the genre of Chicano soul music, a category I particularly enjoy but haven’t had the chance to become proficient in, mostly in regards to the various artists. Selina, often called “The queen of Tejano music”, produced one of my favorite songs.

Conclusion:

Music has the incredible power to transcend boundaries, ignite creativity, and forge connections. These resolutions are not just personal goals but promise to embrace the diverse world of sound. Here’s to a year of musical exploration, where each tune becomes a stepping stone in my evolving melody of self-discovery.

View Comments (2)
About the Contributors
Nadia Woo
Nadia Woo, Writer
Nadia Woo, a senior at DIS, decides to wrap up her high school career with a final hoorah. The title of Jets Flyover staff writer adds to her legacy. She derives inspiration from a wide variety of her life experiences and hobbies, from live concerts to cozy video games. She delights in meeting people from diverse perspectives across the world and always surges at the chance to overcome her own ignorance. After years of longing for an outlet to express herself, she finally bursts onto the scene, vowing to leave no leaf unturned in her quest to bring people together exploiting the art of journalism.

Christine Park
Christine Park, Illustrator
After years of persuasion from her peers that sparked intrinsic motivation, Christine Park finally enters Journalism as a senior. Chris’s greatest passion revolves around the field of art and anime. Her role as the president of the National Art Honors Society and Visual Arts Club proves the enthusiasm she bears for artistry. As the new illustrator for the Jets Flyover, Chris is eager to dive into journalism and share her artwork and comics with a wider audience.