KIMEA festival gifts student instrumentalists an unforgettable experience

Middle school Honor Band braves through an arduous day with unexpected obstacles
The Gold Band waits patiently for the conductor’s signal. The concert hall fills up with the audience and students look up nervously. Photo by Dylan Wang.

Over 200 musicians from 14 different schools gathered for the Korea International Music Educators Association (KIMEA) Festival at Seoul Foreign School (SFS) on Jan. 18. The Middle school Honor Band auditioned for their place in the ensemble. KIMEA judges assessed and distributed each participant to one of three bands: Blue, Red, and Gold.

SFS, who hosted, accommodated the performers with great comfort. “In schools like SFS, we are lucky to have different departments like the theater office where we can do all those cool lights. Being able to show off what we have and being able to highlight the benefits of being in a bigger school like this I think is really important. I really want everyone to have a really good time,” KIMEA band division chair Sophie Holbrook said.

The day started with the distribution of t-shirts designed by a student from SFS. The rehearsal lasted from 10:30 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. Lunchtime and snack breaks offered students time to get away from exhausting practice sessions. Each band prepared three pieces for the grand concert at 3:15 p.m.

Nikki Harris, director from Busan Foreign School (BFS), conducted the Blue Band, mainly composed of beginning instrumentalists; Ross Jones from Korea International School Pangyo (KISP) instructed the Red Band, the intermediate band; and Michael Ganus from Seoul International School led the Gold Band, the most advanced. “It’s nice to see so many kids from different schools getting together and playing. As I look across the name tag, you can see all the different schools represented. It’s kind of cool, ” Ganus said. 

The Red Band faced an unexpected obstacle during the audition process, but Mr. Hutchings, director of the Daegu International School orchestra and band, came to the rescue. “We had a shortage of parts. When we do, we ask directors to fill in. I tend to be the percussion section leader for the honor band. Each year they take a teacher and assign them sections to work with them throughout the day. One teacher will be in charge of sectionals. Because I was the red band percussion section leader, they assigned me to fill up for the part,” Mr. Hutchings said.

After a long day of rehearsal, all three bands prepped for the big finale. Their melodic compositions resonated within the concert hall and warmed the audience’s hearts. “I selected music that had a nice variety to it. I tell my kids that there are two types of music: either pirate songs or love songs. So our “ancient flower” is our love song. The other two are all pirate songs. They have some energy to them and lots of power. It makes a good program,” Ganus said. 

The recital especially held great significance for director Ganus. Mr. Hutchings said, “It was actually Michael Ganus, the gold band director’s last Honor Band in Korea. He is the SIS band director. He is leaving after this year. So seeing his last time conducting the gold band was the height of the event. He brought back the “The Great Locomotive Chase,” a piece they played 12 years ago, an inception of Honor Band. That was a meaningful send-off for him.” 

With beautiful harmonies and heartwarming solos, student instrumentalists improved their musical skills through the rough day and embodied the joy of performing. Blue band trombonist Gia Kim, DIS 6th grader, said, “The day was fast and busy but very fun. I improved a lot. I am satisfied, but I think I could do better. I want to come again next year.” 

Ganus said, “Thank you for this opportunity. It’s great to get up in front of the kids and I really enjoy being able to do that. Making music with these guys is so much fun.”

About the Contributor
Dylan Wang
Dylan Wang, Managing Editor
Dylan Wang declares himself as a Renaissance man. His interests vary from music to sports, and he participates in varieties of extracurricular activities such as Rock Band, MUN, and Student Council. For this reason, he writes in many different styles about many different topics, from features to opinion pieces. Through this process, he attained several useful strategies and tips, and now he helps others learn to write like a pro. As Managing Editor of the Jets Flyover, Dylan hopes to help new staff writers grow as he ends his DIS journey.