Mini Maestros of the Mixing Bowl

Baking Club presents elementary chefs with a delicious opportunity
Mrs. Kim and Mrs. Morissette round up eager bakers to show off another day of successful delicacies. The young chefs fill their mouths with cupcakes and bring the leftovers home for friends and family.
Sankeeth Udayakumar

If you stroll through the dorm lobby on any Thursday afternoon, an irresistible aroma from the brand-new kitchen fills your nose. The enticing smell lures you to check out the source. Step into the realm of baking enthusiasts, where elementary school chefs whip up delicious creations.

Adorable teddy bear cookies are first-grader Elena Nam’specialty. The chocolate bows add to the charm. (Sankeeth Udayakumar)

Mrs. Jinsol Kim, the adviser, makes the recipes for the students. “I make recipes based on what students enjoy and want to bake,” she said. While the dulces heat up in the oven, the students chatter in the dorm lobby. Chefs also play table tennis with Ms. Morissette, who helps cook up recipes.

Over the years, elementary schoolers sustained the club with their consistent interest in the joy of baking at school with their peers. “I joined the baking club because I want to be a pâtissier when I grow up,” said Viviana Kwon in third grade.

Intently engaged in her artwork, third-grader Viviana Kwon prepares to sketch sweet animals onto her chocolate chip cookies. (Sankeeth Udayakumar)

ASA participants craft scrumptious treats like brownies, donuts, and chocolate chip cookies. With every session, they further hone their abilities, which include flour preparation, mixing up ingredients, and dough preparation.

Jiah Lipsky in second grade expresses her love for fuzzy creatures through her bunny-shaped cookies. Each features a white chocolate fur coat and chocolate eyes. (Sankeeth Udayakumar)

Anna Choi, a third-grade kitchen novice, said, “My favorite thing to bake is what we baked last time: cookies! They were yummy.”

Isabelle Tose in 3rd grade indulges in a mouthwatering moment as she savors the delightful flavors of her sugar cookies. (Sankeeth Udayakumar)

After the young cooks take a bite from their creations, they gather the leftovers into zip-lock baggies, ready to bring a taste of their culinary success back home to family and friends. Soi Shin, a second-grade chef, said, “I like to share the snacks with my siblings.” 

Soi Shin in second grade presents her latest creation: a star-shaped cookie topped with a colorful array of sprinkles, chocolate, and strawberry syrup. (Sankeeth Udayakumar)

As soon as ASA registration kicks off, eager bakers fill in all available spots within mere seconds. Mrs. Kim’s pride in the activity and the student’s culinary engagement results in a sweet season of delightful goodies both within the dorm kitchen and at home with their families. 

• S

SolaJan 10, 2024 at 2:21 pm

Those look delicious!!

• J

Joseph BeckDec 6, 2023 at 6:24 pm

That looks sooo good guys! I think you guys are really good at cooking!