Illustrations by Geo Park. Graphic design by Alyssa Chang.

Is the MBTI Test Overrated?

November 10, 2021

It is with no doubt that Korean people are currently swept up in the trend of MBTI – and students at DIS are no exception. MBTI stands for Myers Briggs Type Indicator: a personality test that sorts people into 16 types based on their answers to a long survey of 96 questions. Each MBTI personality type is composed of four letters, which can be constructed from the following traits – Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I), Sensing (S) or Intuition (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P). However, there are contrasting opinions concerning the MBTI test. Some argue that people have excessive faith in the MBTI test, while on the other hand, some say that it helps to know one’s personality on a deeper, more relatable level. The controversy leads us to the question – is the MBTI test overrated?

Yes, It’s Overrated

The MBTI test is an entertaining source for learning more about your personality; however, this is not the best assessment for true self-perception. The 16 types of the MBTI are based solely on hackneyed, trite ideas. The test does not define a person completely, instead trapping them into one of 16 stereotypes. Supporters of MBTI tests argue that it might help you connect with similar people. But because the MBTI places people into molds rather than personality traits, it is most likely that those with stereotypically similar personalities will connect only on a shallow level. 

Most importantly, the creators of the test are not psychologists, which severely decreases the credibility of the MBTI test. It’s no wonder they concluded that stereotypes could give us insight into the human psyche – their lack of expertise is why the MBTI is an unprofessional measure that simply pigeonholes people into certain conventions.

Advocates of the Myers-Briggs test state that by perceiving another person’s MBTI type, you can learn about that person’s personality, preference, strengths, and weaknesses. But as previously mentioned, MBTI does not define a person completely. In certain situations, there may be responses or behavior that does not match the MBTI type completely. This personality test also makes it difficult to acknowledge the exceptional traits of a person not included in the behavior of the person’s typology. Following this logic, it becomes evident that MBTI does nothing but restrict people and their actual personalities. 

Some believe that MBTI tests allow people to discover jobs that are compatible with their personality types. For example, the MBTI type ISFP is defined to be artistic, sensitive, and likes to support people. When considering these traits, jobs such as therapists, fashion designers, or painters are recommended to ISFPs. Nevertheless, there is no real evidence that proves that matching jobs with MBTI types will predict favorable job performance. Therefore, it is hard to say that the MBTI test is completely accurate or reliable for finding compatible jobs.

The Myers Briggs Type Indicator test may aid in acknowledging fundamental and stereotypical elements of a person’s personality, but the test fails to entirely define character.

The Myers Briggs Type Indicator test may aid in acknowledging fundamental and stereotypical elements of a person’s personality, but the test fails to entirely define character. The test is far from being a textbook for building relationships and discovering compatible jobs; the MBTI test lacks validity and proof in its methods. Therefore, the MBTI test is overrated – people should take the test for fun, but it’s nothing to put too much belief in.