Mr. Hortezuela beams with pride as his physics class erupts in applause, astonished by his quick mastery of a challenging physics question. Students attentively listen to every part of his explanation of the answer in detail, afraid to miss a single step of it.
Niharikaa Banerjee

Destiny calls: Mr. Hortezuela’s Korean fated adventure awaits

From London to Seoul, unseen forces guide the new physics teacher’s journey

Everything happens for a reason. In the midst of a bittersweet farewell to his cherished life in London and the excitement of a new chapter, Mr. Hortezuela feels guided by fate. Throughout his journey from the busy streets of London to the tropical shores of the Philippines, and now to the vast skylines of South Korea, he senses an invisible hand shaping his path.  “It was destiny or luck, really. I had taught at an international school in London, and after returning to the Philippines in 2023, my family decided to look for another opportunity abroad,” Mr. Hortezuela said. 

To ensure that his family would be close to home in case of emergencies, Mr. Hortezuela decided to seek jobs in Asia. “It’s much closer to the Philippines, which makes travel easier and more affordable,” he said. 

In December, Mr. Hortezuela received promising news from Mrs. Cameron, who approached him with a vacancy for a position as a physics teacher. Their connection grew as they found common ground as Fulbright Scholars – a leadership alumni network in the United States. Mr. Hortezuela said, “The Fulbright program is what broadened my perspective and made me realize the possibility of teaching beyond the Philippines.” Everything seemed to lead to DIS, and Mr. Hortezuela felt it was destiny.

Mr. Hortezuela and his wife AC Griffith stand proudly beside King Charles III's vibrant coronation poster at Kew Gardens. Photo courtesy of Mr. Hortezuela.

Upon arrival, Mr. Hortezuela and his family noticed the difference between the busy, narrow roads in the Philippines and the spacious streets in South Korea. The Hortezulea family was concerned especially about young Prim Maiv, Mr. Hortezuela’s daughter, and how she’ll react to the new environment. Concerns vanished as Prim Maiv fit right in with Korea. “Our daughter, born in London and used to colder weather, has adapted well to South Korea. She handles the climate better than in the Philippines, and seems to thrive here,” he said. 

In this new chapter of his life, Mr. Hortezuela hopes to explore South Korea’s rich cultural tapestry and enjoy its beautiful landscapes. “This is my first time in South Korea, and I’m excited to visit places like Busan, Seoul, and Jeju Island,” he said.

Mr. Hortezuela and his wife AC Griffith stand proudly beside King Charles III’s vibrant coronation poster at Kew Gardens. Photo courtesy of Mr. Hortezuela.
Beside Newton's apple tree at the University of Cambridge, Mr. Hortezula and his family share a moment of wonder and inspiration. Photo courtesy of Mr. Hortezuela.

He expresses his wish to bike around the neighborhood and chuckles as he shares his ironic late introduction to biking. Mr. Hortezuela said, “I’m a physics teacher, but I didn’t learn how to ride a bike until I was 30.” 

Despite his passion for the laws of motion, Mr. Hortezuela explained that he finally learned how to ride a bike in London. “I learned to bike while living with fellow teachers. It was a bit embarrassing as the biology and chemistry teachers knew how to bike, but the physics teacher didn’t,” Mr. Hortezuela said. 

Mr. Hortezuela humorously described how even his abundant knowledge of physics didn’t help him down curvy, steep roads in the Philippines. He bashfully narrated how he carefully measured how his mass would influence inertia down a winding rocky trail on a bike ride with his friends, but contrary to his meticulous calculations, he tumbled down the path and woke up bleeding half an hour later in an unfamiliar pickup truck surrounded by concerned friends and elderly Filipino farmers. “I think the world wanted to remind me that I can still stumble and have much more to learn about the world of physics,” Mr. Hortezuela said. 

Beside Newton’s apple tree at the University of Cambridge, Mr. Hortezula and his family share a moment of wonder and inspiration. Photo courtesy of Mr. Hortezuela.
Surrounded by attentive students, Mr. Hortezuela passionately unravels a complex problem, his eyes light with enthusiasm as he explains every detail.

As he reflects on his life’s journey, Mr. Hortezuela perceives a deeper force that gently guides his family across continents. “I believe there’s a natural force—like resonance in physics—that draws us to certain places, almost like destiny,” he said.

Mr Hortezuela’s journey demonstrates a dance between chance and choice. At every destination, he finds a purpose—a reminder that life nudges us in the right direction, whether we realize it or not. 

Surrounded by attentive students, Mr. Hortezuela passionately unravels a complex problem, his eyes light with enthusiasm as he explains every detail. (Niharikaa Banerjee)
Niharikaa Banerjee
Niha, a rising junior, is excited to join the journalism class for the first time. With her love for visiting new places and capturing stories, she’s eager to see where this new adventure will take her. Beyond journalism, Niha is also actively involved in the National Honor Society, Gender Equity Network, TEDx, and Students Organizing Against Racism. She’s diving into it all with enthusiasm, ready to make a difference while having fun along the way. 
Apple Jun
Apple Jun, Section Editor
Apple, a sophomore and avid writer, returns for her second year on the Jets Flyover staff. Determined to immerse herself in all aspects of the DIS community, she participates in an array of lunch clubs and ASAs including MUN, SKAC sports, and Jets Flyover. In her leisure time, she loves to read or listen to music. You can often find her tucked away in a corner with a good show or under the covers with her nose buried in her all-time favorite novel – Pride and Prejudice.