• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

• Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

Throwbacks and evolutions: 2024’s best albums so far

A mid-year list of my favorite musical forces
(Christine Park)

As June marks the midpoint of the year, the world’s musical discography expands continuously. To commemorate this growth, let us find a stopping point and recognize noteworthy projects – hidden gems, reestablishment of personas, and new artists to watch. Here are some of the best albums of 2024 so far.

Here in the Pitch - Jessica Pratt

Genre: Art pop, folk

Undoubtedly my favorite and most listened-to album of 2024, Jessica Pratt’s stunning embodiment of mid-1900s female Hollywood folk is set to provide an intangible 30-minute experience. The distant ambience brings forward a wave of emotions that makes listeners nostalgic for a time before theirs. The echoed production of Pratt’s vintage vocals is the perfect blend of harmony that proves old can still be gold.

Favorite track: World on a String

Frog In Boiling Water - DIIV

Genre: Shoegaze

Ever since the world’s first true wave of shoegaze in the 1990s pioneered by the alternative legends My Bloody Valentine, numerous angsty followers have attempted to follow in their footsteps. In May 2024, DIIV decided to emulate their inspirations. They took an apocalyptic stance on modern society and pointed out the mounting dystopian features of capitalism in America. The vocalist, Zachary Smith, opened up about his history with drug addiction on X following the release of the record, in which he addressed public perception of his past. Five years after their last release, DIIV seems to finally share an outlet for their haunted experiences with modernity.

Favorite Track: Fender On The Freeway

A La Sala - Khruangbin

Genre: Psychedelic rock

The psychedelic trio full of worldwide influences Khruangbin released their latest full-length album in April, with hints of inspiration from a wide variety of genres: surf rock, funk, alternative rock, flamenco, etc. The instrumentation in this record has been argued to be one-dimensional; however, the calming and sharp yet echoed electric guitar pulls come together to make up an enjoyable groove. Occasionally accompanied with wispy vocals, each track comes with its own simple yet distinct bassline. The ever-evolving indie scene is amplified once again with Khruangbin’s unique vibrancy.

Favorite track: May Ninth

For Your Consideration - Empress Of

Genre: Alternative pop, dance

Featuring collaborations with power pop artists such as Rina Sawayama and MUNA, Loreley Rodriguez (stage name Empress Of) has made quite a splash in the critically acclaimed music industry, and for a good reason. Her addicting alternative R&B style vocals glide over the electro synth beats as she dances across the line juxtaposing sensuality and style. This attractive bilingual record sparkles as one of the most creative and enjoyable albums of the year, and promises a bright future for female alternative pop artists.

Favorite track: Kiss Me

A Dream Is All We Know - The Lemon Twigs

Genre: Indie rock, soft rock

An album released in May, A Dream Is All We Know is the golden sequel to the Long Island siblings’ discography. With an “as per usual” throwback to ’70s soft rock, if you enjoy classic behemoths such as The Beach Boys and The Beatles, this might be the one for you. A more in-depth review of this particular album from the Jets Flyover can be found here.

Favorite track: How Can I Love Her More?

The Call - Opek

Genre: Jazz

Greatness in jazz – Opek, a songwriter and producer located in Germany, has crafted an honest gem with his latest full-length album. From the very first listen, you’ll fall in love with its funky basslines, soft yet crisp drums, and an abundance of brass every jazz enthusiast can appreciate. Jazz is one of the most rapidly evolving and innovative genres of the decade, and this amazing 10-track record stands among those that spearhead the movement as we shift into a phase of electronica and alternative classes.

Favorite track: Song For Lis

#RICHAXXHAITIAN - Mach-Hommy

Genre: Rap

Hailing from New Jersey, American rapper Mach-Hommy tapped into his Haitian heritage with his latest release in May. This isn’t his first time earning critical acclaim; his 2021 album, Pray For Haiti, was named Best New Album by Pitchfork. Known for his distinctive anonymity, he often wears bandanas covering the lower part of his face, as depicted on this album cover. Embracing experimentalism and underground features, Mach-Hommy consistently delivers high-quality work throughout his career.

Favorite track: #RICHAXXHAITIAN

Bright Future - Adrianne Lenker

Genre: Acoustic folk, indie folk

Adrianne Lenker first captured our hearts with her sensitive and shaky vocals that appear in the group Big Thief’s discography, an indie band known for their sweet and slow country-style sessions. In fact, many would agree that their 2022 album Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You was a sentimental masterpiece. Along with her releases with the group, Lenker continues to release solo projects with ease. This latest album is tense with raw emotion and emanates the nostalgic and personal energy found in an unfiltered studio recording.

Favorite track: No Machine

Although the year is only halfway through, numerous releases have already flown under the radar, deserving far more recognition than received. After an explosive first half of 2024, we eagerly anticipate what July through December has in store for us.