ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.
  • Don't forget your spirit shirts on Friday.
The Student News Site of Daegu International School

Jets Flyover

Daegu International School's student news site
ANNOUNCEMENTS
  • Have a fantastic summer break!
  • First Day of School on August 12th.

Jets Flyover

Jets Flyover

DIS Jets finish last despite home-court advantage

Middle school girls slip in nail-biter after nail-biter at KISAC basketball
Small+forward+Luisa+Silva+%2820%29+holds+tight+until+her+teammates+come+for+help.+Her+aggressiveness+scares+the+Bears+away.+
Jackson Chiang
Small forward Luisa Silva (20) holds tight until her teammates come for help. Her aggressiveness scares the Bears away.

The middle school girls’ varsity basketball invited five other schools to the Jetnasium for the Korean International School Activities Conference (KISAC) tournament on May 17 and 18. DIS welcomed all the teams to a friendly yet competitive face-off. Although they got blown out in the first game, subsequent match-ups only differed by one or two points.

The girls first started against North London Collegiate School (NLCS) with Becky Cho as point guard, Mika Lee as shooting guard, Luisa Silva as small forward, Yul Sakong as power forward, and Lydia at center. Throughout the game, they struggled to make layups and free throws. The physical differences also played as an obstacle. The game concluded with 32:5 on the scoreboard with raised tension.

Elly Song (6) successfully snags the ball away from the other team. She looks towards the wing to pass for an easy point. (Jets Flyover Staff)

In the following game against Saint Johnsbury Academy Jeju (SJAJ), the Jets faced another disappointment. They narrowly missed victory with a one-point difference, and Amy Kim, a key player in the defense line-up, suffered from an ankle injury. 

Becky Cho (11) warms up and practices her dribble before the game with BFS. (Jets Flyover Staff)

Day two began with a battle against Busan Foreign School (BFS). The squad showed great improvement through the previous day full of basketball. With more precise passes and shooting opportunities, the match proceeded neck-and-neck. However, even with their six-point lead, they lost by a narrow two-point gap. Becky Cho, point guard starter, said, “I think we could have better mindsets as a team together. We overestimated ourselves and couldn’t win any games throughout the tournament.”

Varsity small forward Luisa Silva (20) guards SJA player Ellie (8). She buys time for her teammates to get back to defense. (Jets Flyover Staff)

Unable to reach the finals, the crew fought for fifth place against Branksome Hall Asia (BHA). The teams remained head-to-head throughout the intense game. Lydia dominated the rebounds as Silva swished several shots to keep the game close. Despite their best efforts, DIS fell short by three points. The close defeat hit hard as some shed tears on the court. Silva said, “I cried because I just felt bad. I thought that there was no point in playing if we were getting last place.”

Varsity starter power forward Yul Sakong (12) faces a defender from BHA. She takes a fake step towards the right to find an open spot to pass. (Jackson Chiang)

The tourney passed the trophy on to the Orcas. NLCS varsity starter Melissa Ju said, “During the finals, we played with KISJ, who we previously lost in the friendly match but we were focused on the game. We managed to beat the team winning the tournament undefeated.”

After a rebound, Lydia (26) shoots a basket, closing up the point gap. Her shot changes the rhythm of the girls. (Jets Flyover Staff)

Although the unexpected result broke the hearts of the Jets, it served as a valuable learning experience. The girls now lift their heads for the South Korean Activities Conference (SKAC) tourney on May 22.

Point guard Becky Cho (11) finds the perfect timing to swish an open-field goal. She makes a beautiful arc, hoping to drop the ball into the basket. (Jackson Chiang)
View Comments (2)
About the Contributors
Elena Lee
Elena Lee, Writer and Illustrator
8th grader Elena Lee attended DIS since first grade. With the ambition of a first-year staff member, she can’t wait to fill the site with her designs. In her free time, she immerses herself in various hobbies -- volleyball, baking, styling outfits for her buddies, and so much more. You can see her play volleyball in the gym or toot on the flute in Mr. Hutchings’s band. Elena brings her passion for food to the Flyover and plans to share her secret recipes with all of you. 
Jackson Chiang
Jackson Chiang, Photographer / Designer
Jackson Chiang, a junior at Daegu International School, enters the world of journalism with his passion for photography. He loves to capture paramount moments on campus through camera lenses. In his free time, he often goes to the movies and listens to music. Jackson looks forward to studying medicine in college. With the diverse and supportive nature of the DIS community, Jackson expands his horizons as he continues to nurture his affection for photography and design.

Comments (2)

All Jets Flyover Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• A

AyeletJun 6, 2024 at 7:29 pm

Nice jobs jets!

Reply
  • G

GGJun 6, 2024 at 7:21 pm

Let’s go jets!! The basketball team is so good!!

Reply